Anyone have to do this?

ryder

Mum to Jasmine & Peyton
Reaction score
Anyone have to "train" their baby to sleep through? Jasmine is a total routine stickler it seems... Every time we move a feeding up through the night she will wake up exactly at that time and keep doing so.

Im afraid because of this she is never going to just naturally sleep through unless I set the routine for it.

Even now she sleeps 5.5 hours and barely eats anything, before bed she eats 6oz, and then when she gets up she barely eats 2-3oz. She does seem full when she gets up in the night...

I dont know if I should keep moving up the feeds ever week and slowly do it? She eats tons during the day, and if she seemed hungry in the night when she woke up I wouldn't worry so much.

Just wondering if anyone else had to do this with their baby?

she seems very young to be cutting a night feed, she is waking for a reason, and 6oz before bed is good! jacob takes 7oz at 9pm goes till 1-2am wakes has 3oz goes back down for 3 hours then wakes and takes another 3oz till morning then wakes in the morning and takes 7oz. Im not going to be stopping his night feeds as he is waking for a reason.

she is very young to expect her to sleep through :) i understand why mum's of 4-6 month olds drop feeds but not this young :)

xxxx

i agree, she should still feed at night. she's only little.

I didnt say drop a feed.. if you read it, it says SLOWLY start adding more time bettween the feed. :)

I still have to stand by what i posted. A baby wakes for a reason, for example

If you have a big meal and then 2 hours later are hungry you dont say 'ive got to wait 2 hours before i eat again' and neither should a baby. If she goes longer on her own between feeds then fair enought but making a baby wait to be fed so they go longer when there hungry. But like i say if she goes on her own then thats great :) XxxX

(IMO)

My baby does the same. He has 5 or 6oz at 10pm then sleeps till 3am then has only 2 or 3oz then wakes again at 6am.. only thing is i used to think he was waking at 6am because he was hungry but one morning i was so tired i just rolled over and put his dummy in and next thing i know hes waking up at 10am... now he doesnt feed at 6am anymore but often wakes around then but i dont think hes actually hungry at 6am because if he was he would spit his dummy out and cry again like he does when he is really hungry....

I dont think there is anthing wrong with trying to add time between the feeds but if shes hungry.. shes hungry!

Ok Ema, but when she wakes and I give her her dummy and she falls asleep again while im warming her bottle up... then she cant be that hungry?

She is the kind of baby who will scream non-stop if she is hungry...

Like I said, she has always gone on a routine... and she didnt start going 4 hours until I held off, I gave her her dummy and she slept another hour... and she ddidnt go 5 hours until I did the same thing, and she slept another hour.

Im just wondering if anyone else has had to do this with their baby, im not really looking to be told off for asking about it.

I was about to ask if she had a dummy! Well if you can put the feed off then do it, if shes really that hungry she wont go back to sleep!

jack has not been having any night feeds for the last 2 weeks i think as long as there putting on the weight thats the main thing i had jack weighed yesterday & he has put on a pound in 2 weeks he is now 11lb 7 & was 6lb 10 born . violet x

Ok Ema, but when she wakes and I give her her dummy and she falls asleep again while im warming her bottle up... then she cant be that hungry?

Like I said, she has always gone on a routine... and she didnt start going 4 hours until I held off, I gave her her dummy and she slept another hour... and she ddidnt go 5 hours until I did the same thing, and she slept another hour.

Im just wondering if anyone else has had to do this with their baby, im not really looking to be told off for asking about it.

If you read my post then you will see i said "if she goes on her own then great" meaning if she settles back on her own then great she's not hungry.

You asked for an opinion and i gave one, If its not what you like then sorry. But i was giving my opinion. Sorry to be blunt but ive read many a threads when you dont agree with something someone is doing and you give your opinion. And in this case i am doing the same.

Anyway not looking for an arguement, im just saying IN MY OPINION she is very young and to expect her to sleep through already or go longer than 5hours or take more than 6oz in one go is an awful lot to expect from a very young baby.

AGAIN IN MY OPINION.....You cant train a baby :)

XXX

Although I do agree she is quite young to be moving out the night feed, I also strongly believe every baby is different and if she was really hungry she wouldnt go back to sleep.
For instance I was sleeping through the night with no feeds at 3 weeks old!! But, Colton's 9mo old and still wakes up around 4am for a drink (although I usually give him water).

Its hard for a baby her age to sleep trough more the 5hrs , actually they say if a baby sleeps 5hrs there doing there nights but us as mother like the 7hrs + lol so its quite normal ..
dont worry hun max only started sleeping well once he got to 3 months ..he would still wake up at night , I put his dummy back and he'd drift off but seeing how hes got me up and a bottLE READY id dream feed him and gain a few extra hours of mom time to sleep lol

Young babies need to eat as much as possible ..not all babies cry when there hungry and a paci ONLY mimics the bottle but with nothing in it ..if your not to tired try dream feeding her at last you know you will get some extra much needed sleep .

As for a feeding routine its not very useful right now as soon you get her into a nice routine she will hit a growth spurt and mess it all up lol just wait till shes a lil older ..

If you read my post then you will see i said "if she goes on her own then great" meaning if she settles back on her own then great she's not hungry.

You asked for an opinion and i gave one, If its not what you like then sorry. But i was giving my opinion. Sorry to be blunt but ive read many a threads when you dont agree with something someone is doing and you give your opinion. And in this case i am doing the same.

Anyway not looking for an arguement, im just saying IN MY OPINION she is very young and to expect her to sleep through already or go longer than 5hours or take more than 6oz in one go is an awful lot to expect from a very young baby.

AGAIN IN MY OPINION.....You cant train a baby :)

XXX

Its not that I dont like your opinion, your just not answering the question... which was who has had to do this, meaning people with older babies.

What happens if she doesn't have the dummy? would she take a feed instead of the dummy?
Personally I would just give the feed rather than faff with a dummy but that is my own opinion.
Ewan never slept through untill gone 2 yrs of age despite trying everything, i do agree with Ema, but each to their own if she is sleeping 5 hours then that is actually classed as sleeping through.. quite scarey really.
I also fed on demand - Routines didnt work with us, Ewan developed his own at about 4 months.
I'll be doing the same with the new baby to, no dummy and fed on demand as and when.
Hope things settle for you.

I give Renah a dummy for a bit if she wakes up at 4. Usually she'll go back to sleep until 7:30, but if she's really hungry then she lets me know. She only wakes like that though if she falls asleep before she gets the 4oz in(she feeds 3, breaks then another 1). If she gets 4oz in at 12:30am then she's good till 7:30. I wouldn't let her go any longer than that without a feed though.

You could try to move her up, I'm sure she'll let you know if she's hungry! I'm not one for rigid schedules, I think that will come into play later on. Renah just stays awake all day so she sleeps through the night

again, just reminding people im not expecting to make her sleep through tomorow... this is for when she is getting on 3months etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
confettiblue
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->