Anyone in the UK been offered a sweep?

Baby2012

Reaction score
I'm just curious because my mw said I can have one next week. I'll be 38+3 (my ticker is out by a few days). I Think I'll decline it but just wondered if anyone has been offered one or has had one?

I'm keen to meet my little lady but also want to let nature take its course.

I have no reason whatsoever to have a sweep which is why I think I'll decline :coffee:

My midwife has said she will try & do a sweep on Monday when I will be 39+ 4 I was under the impression you only got a sweep when you were overdue! This is my 3rd pregnancy first baby was born at 40+3 & second 40 + 2 I never had a sweep in these pregnancies so really don't know wether to decline on Monday.

Hello JLLM, yeah that's what I thought about being overdue. I've googled and the research shows that they're 50% successful so I think I'll wait. Just curious X

My consultant is doing one at 38+3 for me, I'm actually hoping its successful as I'm really struggling now. If not induction will be at 39 weeks. Slightly more anxious about that.x

With my first I was booked for one on my due date but DS came before then anyway.
This time round they won't offer one until 41 weeks

I'm 38 weeks on Tuesday, same day I see my midwife so I'm going to ask if she will do a sweep then as I'm in so much pain due to SPD. Xx

dkj2 why are you being induced? Just curious.

With my last pregnancy I had 6 sweeps before I was induced at 38 weeks due to gestational diabetes and them thinking DD was big. She arrived after my waters were broken and I was put on synto, it took 4 days from my first pessary. She was 7lb 6.

This time I've no GD etc. so I'm being left alone, I will be offered a sweep at 40w + and then induced at term + 12 if there's no movement.

I'm moving house in 3 weeks time so will be doing everything I can to encourage labour to start in the meantime!!

I don't know if I would have the sweep or not, it's pretty uncomfortable having one if you're nowhere near ready.

dkj2 why are you being induced? Just curious.

With my last pregnancy I had 6 sweeps before I was induced at 38 weeks due to gestational diabetes and them thinking DD was big. She arrived after my waters were broken and I was put on synto, it took 4 days from my first pessary. She was 7lb 6.

This time I've no GD etc. so I'm being left alone, I will be offered a sweep at 40w + and then induced at term + 12 if there's no movement.

I'm moving house in 3 weeks time so will be doing everything I can to encourage labour to start in the meantime!!

I don't know if I would have the sweep or not, it's pretty uncomfortable having one if you're nowhere near ready.

I'm under consultant care for thyroid problems and due over xmas so I'm assuming as I'm high risk they would rather baby here when staffing isn't an issue etc. just guessing though as I was that relieved I didn't question it ive found this prehnancy very difficult and have a toddler at home needing me.x

With my first I went begging for one as I desperately wanted my homebirth and not to be induced. They weren‘t able to get me into clinic until 41+3 but I went on a tour of the unit to try and calm my anxiety and to sort some arrangements and they gave me one there and it worked.

Second I didn‘t get that far.

This time I expected to have to beg for one again but I mentioned it to my hb midwife and she said she would be happy to do me one at my 38 week appointment and most of the team would too if they are attending instead, otherwise I‘ll get one/another a couple of days before my due date as nobody wants me to go into labour on my due date (Christmas Eve) if they can help it.

The thing is, like all these things, a sweep won‘t do anything unless you‘re on the cusp of going and in some situations, like poor baby position, you won‘t go naturally at all as they can‘t hit the cervix to stimulate the hormones that bring on labour, which was the situation with my first as he was back to back. So a sweep won‘t stress a baby or bring on labour or anything unless you‘re ready to go.

i was told 36wk consult apoint ud have sweep on due date i had one sceduled lasr preg then too but went labour day before lol. 3rd preg an nvr had sweep yet.

Ah fair enough, I was induced early last time :hugs: it is hard work being pregnant with a toddler!

Thank you ladies for replying and your stories.

I'm trying to work out if it's dangerous to have one before you're overdue but from what I've read it only works if your body is ready anyway.

I'm 38+3 tomorrow and she's offered so I'll have another chat with her and see if I can get one next week instead as I've no signs whatsoever this past week and my cervix will probably not be very favourable Xx

I went to my midwife appointment & she said his head was still free so she couldn't do sweep, wish she hadn't mentioned it last week to start with now I feel kinda disheartened!

oh JLLM that is so disheartening :( gosh these last few weeks are tough emotionally and physically sending you massive hugs. Baby can engage and get the birth party started at any moment so try to bear that in mind...she says to herself as well as JLLM!! x

I had appointment today at 39+3 and despite her saying head was engaged, she did not even talk about sweep (I forgot to ask)

Back on 40+2 to see what's happening and will then get appointment booked for induction following somewhen by 40+12. I am assuming next week she may offer sweep but didn't say about it today

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->