Anyone know if it's ok to take cough medicine or eat cough sweets in early pregnancy?

Beccaboop

Mummy to Jacob
Reaction score
Ok so I've had bad cough and really sore throat for the last 3 or 4 days and been taking covonia medicine and sucking stepsils cough sweets but I haven't taken any other medication.

Today I got a faint positive and 2 negatives so I might be a little bit pregnant but I'm going to test in a couple of days!

Do you think the cough medicine and cough sweets are one of those things I shouldn't take while pregnant??

Thanks Xxx

unfortunately it has always been my understanding never to take medicine or cough sweets, only thing to take was paracetamol if unwell. you could check with a pharmacist?

Ok thanks I haven't taken Much medicine or many cough sweets because I wasn't sure so hopefully it will be ok

Boots do a cough linctus and throat sweets that are fine to take in pregnancy - they have been my saviour!

It's Boots Honey & Glycerin Linctus (I think) - it's in a no-frills bottle and costs £1.79. I can't remember exactly what the throat sweets are called but they are also in no-frill packaging and were right next to the linctus in my local branch.

ETA: It's the honey version of this https://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Glycerin-and-Blackcurrant-Linctus-200ml_1701/ - the blackcurrant one didn't specifically state that it was suitable in pregnancy so I didn't get that one

The pharmacist recommended the throat sweets when I was double checking that the linctus was indeed okay to take.

Boots do a cough linctus and throat sweets that are fine to take in pregnancy - they have been my saviour!

It's Boots Honey & Glycerin Linctus (I think) - it's in a no-frills bottle and costs £1.79. I can't remember exactly what the throat sweets are called but they are also in no-frill packaging and were right next to the linctus in my local branch.

ETA: It's the honey version of this https://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Glycerin-and-Blackcurrant-Linctus-200ml_1701/ - the blackcurrant one didn't specifically state that it was suitable in pregnancy so I didn't get that one

The pharmacist recommended the throat sweets when I was double checking that the linctus was indeed okay to take.

Thanks very much I'll have a look tomorrow. I'll ask if the small amount that I've already taken will be ok while I'm there.

I was just going to say - Boots! There cough syrup has been a godsend!
I asked instore and they give me the blackcurrent one, the bottle says its fine for pregnancy!

& also Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Happy & Healthy 9 month to you!

:flow:

Halls and soother type sweeties are ok during pregnancy, they are basically sugar. I was told not to take Strepsils or similar ones with the anesthetic agent.

when i was pregnant first time around i always had to have simple linctus thats all the docs will give a pregnant woman (but i suggest u ask ur doc or pharmacy before taking anything. x

I hope that I haven't done any damage by taking covonia and stepsils when possibly pregnant!! :(

My local chemist gave me a honey and lemon glycerole syrop from care+, and some lemon and honey menthols, both soothing, non-medicinal. If you go to your local chemist and ask, they should be able to give you something.

With boots, I'm sure they have a lot of products, but I've found that the pharmacists are really reluctant to give you anything, I presume out of a fear-for-lawsuits policy, which I find extremely unhelpful. So I had my husband go and pick me up stuff I know are safe (ie external canesten etc).

In the meantime, try to squeeze half a lemon into and add a teaspoon of honey in hot water, and have a hot drink, it works wonders. And also have some chicken soup. I take a soluble vit c too (pure vit c, not a non-pregnancy multivitamin as they may contain vit A), in addition to my pregnacare, when I have a cold too.

And you can try sterimar saline spray if you feel your nose is stuffed.

Good luck, hon. :flower:

Oh yes, I brewed freshly grated ginger with a slice of lemon, worked a treat on my sore throat.

I got some medicine in boots that the pharmacist recommended.
I'm not even sure I am pregnant yet as I got a faint positive and 2 negatives yesterday I'm going to test again tomorrow. So I'm hoping that as I won't even be 2 weeks gone yet that taking medicine I shouldn't of taken wont be too bad!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->