Anyone make up bottles this way?

smartie

1 Prince, 1 Princess
Reaction score
I am considering moving Hannah onto formula milk and have been browsing on whats the best way to make up the bottles. I came across this on the Annabel Karmel website and wondered if anyone had tried this way:

To make an 8oz bottle mix eight scoops of milk powder with 120ml (4 fl oz) of cool boiled water and refrigerate. When the time comes for your baby’s feed, simply add another 120ml (4 fl oz) of the hot boiled water to the refrigerated bottle and shake to mix.

Will this make the feed hot enough to kill any bacteria?

i dont think that method sounds like a very good idea i always thought it was best to make the full feed up allow to cool then store in refrigerator and then heat up as needed but bearing in mind its 7 years since i had a baby who knows what new ideas there are regarding feeding

That doesnt sound good, I was always told that all bottles should be made fresh due to bacteria also now they say that if you heat cool and then reheat a bottle there is certain chemicals (dont know names) released into the milk.
Hope this helps you

So long as both waters have been bolied then no problems. Bacteria normally only starts when the bottle has been made previously hence why they tell us to make bottles fresh every time.

I boil water then put it in the bottles then amke a bottle when I need it and warm it, it works for me, but the way annabel karmel suggests is very safe and equally fine.

That doesnt sound good, I was always told that all bottles should be made fresh due to bacteria

I think that means that once the powder goes in, so long as the milk powder hasnt been added no bacteria can grow.

I'm not sure how well that would mix if 8 scoops had been added to only 4 oz's of water, not sure though as i've not tried it.

I do know people who add boiling water to cold water, but then add the powder last.

I just make up a couple of bottles of water in the morning & at night, then add the powder as it is needed, Alex will drink his milk at room temp, so that works ok for us.

milk formula isnt sterile so i dont know how i would make bottles up.
i wanted to make up 6 bottles in the morning (just boiled water) then when i need a bottle i can then just add the formula.

but aparently the milk would be sterile then.

4oz cold 4oz hot would that not still be too hot? We (well OH) did this once or twice I think!

If you did it this way I'd only do the water adding the formula after the hot water ...BUT that said if you do fridge your bottles already with formula safely (some Mums stil do) then I don't see why not!

Its similar to what i used to do...
I let the water cool for 20mins in the kettle. Then i filled my bottles to 3oz. Seal..Put on top of fridge (got told not to put in the fridge)
Then when i needed a bottle i added 2oz of fresh boiled water. (it must be fresh when you make babys water).
Then add the required amount of powder.

HV told me the no formula in preparing bottles mainly come from stupid Mummys who for one example would make u 24 hours worth of bottles and keep them on their livingroom radiators (sp?) to stay warm definately causing bacteria! YAK

HV told me the no formula in preparing bottles mainly come from stupid Mummys who for one example would make u 24 hours worth of bottles and keep them on their livingroom radiators (sp?) to stay warm definately causing bacteria! YAK

Lmao!! My HV said the same to me about the mums keeping bottles on radiators!

I just make 4 bottles up each time, with boiling water then chuck em in fridge.. reheat when Ella is hungry :shrug:

so do you have to add the formula to hot water (boiled) to sterilze it then or not? x x

I had that story too - HV also mentioned something about women in India -can't remeber what that was though:rofl:
When I had my daughter 15 yrs ago I used to make up as many bottles for the day in advance including the powder & refridgerate until needed, & she was never ill. With Jack I put enough cooled boiled water for the feed into the bottle & leave on worktop until needed - I warm the water either in micro (only for 15 secs) or in jug of boiling water then add the powder to the warmed water then shake thoroughly, although my HV said it is fine to make the feed up mixing the powder into the water so it is ready if needing to feed through the night as long as stored properly.
I think this thing about the powder not being sterile only becomes a problem if the mixed up feed is left to hang about in a warm climate meaning if there was any bacteria in the powder it will multiply in the warm milk meaning greater chance of baby having a bad tummy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->