Anyone planning to use a stroller rather than a pram/travel system?

christina1612

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I'm moving over from 2nd trimester! Just wondering for those with more than one child (i have a 2 yo) or just in general, is anyone planning to use a stroller rather than a pram or travel system for baby? My son has a silver cross pop suitable from birth and unisex colours so i was thinking about maybe using it for my little girl due in february rather than buying a pram i probably wont want to use for too long as its too big and bulky etc. What are your thoughts ladies? Ive got a cosytoes to fit as itll be colder, plus all the shoulder and waist pads i just need a head hugger.

I'm not sure what the difference in a pram or stroller actually is as I use the words interchangeably. If by pram you mean something with a carrycot then I have never used one and I don't think I've ever seen one used in public either (though I see them for sale online a lot).

If your stroller lays quite flat I don't see why you can't just use it :)

We still have travel system from dd and pram setting but tbh it's bulky and heavy and tough to steer. We're planning on using it to start with but suspect we will a u icky move over to t h e much easier to push, lightweight, Maneaverable stroller. It's suitable from birth but not parent facing so i want to try to get as far as possI be with pram. Not wanting to buy another pushchair though.

I also intend to sling lo lots so maybe a stroller wouldn 't be too bad as they might not be in it anyway (just me using as dumping ground for stuff!)

I'm in the minority camp in that I like a good pram and carrycot BUT I don't see why you can't use a buggy, they're perfectly suitable. We had the Pop Sport for holidays and it was fine, my Mum's Goddaughter also used hers from birth and another friend used a Maclaren for both of her children. Years ago, there wasn't much choice other than this, I don't see why it would be a problem especially when they're all snuggly and tucked in.

We bought a travel system without a carrycot. The carseat just clips on to the pushchair. We spoke to a woman that worked in the store and she said strollers weren't recommended for newborns because they don't offer much head support. X

I have bought a double buggy (Cosatto Duo) and it's suitable from birth and has a cosytoes. I still have my travel system that I got for DS2 but it's in practically new condition because I switched to a Silver Cross buggy when he was a couple of months old.

They are suitable from birth yes, but I'd see how comfortable you are with having your newborn forward facing when they arrive. This is something I would not have been able to do as I needed to have eyes on her at all times. Only recently is she world facing at 16m

I have bought a pushchair without a carrycot but have bought the baby cocoon thing to go in it. It's the Stokke Scoot v2.

I'm not a fan of strollers for new ba babies, even ones that say they are suitable, supposedly lay flat enough just aren't/don't imo.
I like a lay flat carrycot pram on a chassis for babies under about 6 months.
I wouldn't ever keep baby in the car seat part to clip onto a travel system chassis unless it was a very short trip into a shop.

Xx

if you get one that does "from birth" then i dont see why not BUT just be prepared your baby not fit their standard of "from birth". My pram i have for ds2 says suitable from birth.. but at 9 months the straps were still a bit too big for him! It would NEVER have held him newborn. xx

I used/use a pram with both of mine, with my son we had a travel system, but when I was pregnant with my daughter we got an oyster max double which has a carrycot :) the thought of having a newborn forward facing in a stroller I couldn't do, but it's all personal x

personally i do not like the idea of having a newborn facing away from me, my DD is 2 ( in a few weeks) and i still really dont like not being able to see her, but she enjoys facing away & talking to people rather just me now lol ..

like its been said, its your personal choice but even though buggies say From Birth in the Lie Flat position, it is still not as flat and secure as a carrycot ( i dont trust personally) but each to their own

goodluck xo

I never really though much about the difference. I've always had a stroller as I have never seen a true pram here until recently (MIL bought us a pram/travel system for this one that has a carry it, car seat,and stroller attachment so it can be used up to 3years)
with that said, I have never really had any use for an actual pram or stroller until baby is about 3-4 months.
I only use mine when we go to an amusement park or something of the sort.

We had a travel system. LO was more comfortable in the pram where she could lay flat and kick her legs freely. In the cocoon part that she used as a carseat she would cry after a short time. She really needed to lay flat and have fredom to move. She had tummy troubles so I think being strapped in a certain position trapped the gas in her tummy. I'm sure it would work fine for some babies though.

Thanks everyone, I've thought about it and I don't actually feel comfortable her being forward facing and being so exposed to the elements too especially as a newborn. I'm going to look into getting a pram at least for the first few months while she will be tiny. Thank you so much for all your advice, made me remember how delicate they are as newborns!

Lots of strollers parent face. My steelcraft strider (britax b-dual I think it is overseas) you could unclip the front seat and face it either way. There are also strollers with reversible handles.

Mountain buggy, buggaboo, britax, baby jogger and quinny are a few brands I can think of off the top of my head that have a parent facing stroller. Some come with infant support inserts also. My steelcraft (britax) did.

I've used a Silveracross Pop for my 2 youngest straight from birth and never had any issues.

We've got a silver cross surf from DS1 which we will try to use most of the time with DD even though it's a pain in the bum to keep/load into the car.
We also have a Silver Cross Pop Duo for those rare occasions when both LOs will need to be in a stroller. Althogh DS prefers to walk now so I can't see that happening too often.
Thinking about selling my Silver Cross as soon as DD is old enough to sit in a buggy, as I'm sick of having a big pram taking up the boot of my car now

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->