Anyone start fruits and veggies before 6 months?

Wugz22

Reaction score
My LO will be 5 months next week and he is a hungry little dude! He already LOVES rice cereal, he practically grabs the spoon out of my hand. He helps hold his own bottle, he can sit up pretty good but not completely independently. He licks his lips while he watches me and hubs eat...

He's already maxed out on breastmilk ounces per feed (about 7), but screams when the bottle is done! I think he needs something else!

Should I start pureed veggies and fruits? And any tips on what to start with?

You're better off increasing the milk, fruits and vegetables will not be giving him the nutrients he needs, you will be filling him up with empty nutrients he can't properly digest yet to get the goodness which could fill him up to the point of stopping him eating the most nutritious thing- the milk.

Just my opinion of course, but you can't "max out" on milk, it would be better to supplement with formula if you are expressing and don't have enough BM, formula will be much more nutritious than fruits and veg at his age.

Also, all of the things you describe are very normal baby behaviour, licking lips, grabbing spoons, holding bottles, watching you eat these are not signs of being ready to wean, these are massive myths. The signs of weaning are shown within the digestive system itself which has been proven to be at about 6 months, it's your decision of course I'm not trying to be pushy but it's a rather prolific misconception :flower:

I did but only because my son had some health problems and my paediatrician suggested trying it. I did breastmilk mixed with potato and carrot.

I started weaning at 5 months on advice of my paed. Never really did rice cereal. I started with simple purees at first; apples, carrots, banana.
As PP said though, it won't (and shouldn't at that age) fill your baby up so if LO needs more milk give them that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->