Anyone struggle with, Anxiety, Depression and Panic Attacks?

tilly-maggie

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
Just wondered does anyone suffer daily like 24/7 with these. I am 32 weeks and its just getting worse, im not worried or stressed about anything.

I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder nearly 8 years ago, and everything is just geting to the point where i cant cope anymore, ive just had CBT but didnt really help in the long run. Im on 10mg of Nortriptyline from 20mg of Cipralex so finding it a daily struggle.

Can anyone else relate?

Ah, typed out a long response, but lost it. Urgh....

But in short, I also deal with severe depression and anxiety. I was constantly in hospitals and treatment centers between 14 and 17. I only had an anxiety attack once, but I just remember how terrifying it was. I'm now on fluoxetine and have been on it for years. If I miss a day I always go downhill VERY quickly.

I was in CBT once! It was run by one of the hospitals I was in. Some binder that taught me how to communicate or something- didn't last long. I think it can really help some people, but it certainly didn't help me!

I'm sorry you're struggling :hugs: - it seems that women who have a history of anxiety or depression are way more prone to PND, which can make it so much worse. Do you have people around you daily that can help you cope, or even just be there in case you need to blow off some steam?

yes myself, ive actually just made a post about being anxious, if you wana have a read! i am phoning my doctors as i hate how i feel!x

I also suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, for this reason I am not yet having a child a waiting till i am a bit better.

My best recommendation to all of you is to do twice a day breathing exercises. You can feel better from just one session, and a lot better after a couple of weeks not to say months. We don't breath well when we have anxiety, its usually shallow and quick breath causing us to hyperventilate and feeling anxious/panicky.

You have to set yourself a 10 minutes X 2 daily routine. This is usually the hard part, you won't want to do this, and your anxious mind will find all the excuses under the sun not to: I am too tired, I don't have time (but do have time to sit 2 hours at the computer or watching tv). But who decides in your life: your anxiety, or you?

So as you decide, you sit up, or lie down ( I wouldn't worry about this part at the moment, just get into the habit and then find the best posture), but try to keep back straight if possible and chin high so to allow clear breathing passages.

Fill your tummy with air, put your hands on it to feel the rise (don't make this a deep breath), and mentally say 1, and then slowly let the air go feeling your tummy go down (don't push it out quickly) while you say relax (lasting maybe 2 seconds). Do this again counting 2, and then 3... when you reach to 10 you need to go back to 1. One important thing is that you are learning to concentrate. If you lose count, get invaded by many thoughts, or find that you are counting to 11 or more, you are not concentrating and therefore really need this exercise. Don't worry how badly you are doing it, just keep bringing back all your focus to the exercise. It can take weeks or months of daily discipline (but remember, only 10x2 of your minutes a day) but you WILL feel better. (Try putting a chart on the wall where you can see it, where everyday you put if you did your exercises, and how successful you were at it, don't worry if you are marking yourself low, its just to see progress on the long run, and practice will make perfect.) Commit with a loved one that you will do this, tell them your reasons so they can remind you when you forget or don't choose to follow it) Remember, it gets easier, and surely you can spare your well being 20 minutes a day?

You then have to learn to be aware and control your negative thoughts. If you can learn not to compulsively think in a negative way and get out of that negative habit, you will be free from anxiety. By doing the breathing exercises above you will also concentrate your mind on something other than your negative thoughts (I am dieing, what if I have a panic attack, maybe I am going mad???) your mind gets a "break" and starts to feel better.

Anxiety, panic attacks, stress are all a unpleasant vicious circle. You just need to break it, find motivations to do so, and have the discipline and drive to do so. (If you center on your motivations you will find the strength).

Try to weigh out your options. Shall I do those things that will free me of anxiety? What will happen if I do? I will feel better, I will not lose time and energy worrying, I will be able to go places and feel fine, I will not live in fear, I will have more energy to do things... What will happen if I don't? I will have less energy, I will always be worrying...

There are many books that can help you learn what panic is, how unharmful it is, how you can take away the power you have givin it, and how you can manage it and get on with your life. Have a look at these books by Oxford University Press https://www.oup.com/us/companion.websites/umbrella/treatments/hidden/mforms/?view=usa . However lost we feel, however we feel that anxiety is what controls our life, there is a way out and a light at the end of the tunnel, its just having the knowledge to do so, and breaking that negative habit.

Very long post, but hope there is something there that can help you, take care all XXX

I have anxiety attacks quite often so I went to see my GP and he gave me some Beta Blockers which are amazing and I also take a herbal tablet called St. Johns Wart....They both do wonders and I havent had one for 5 months now and I used to have them like very other day :)

Thankyou for all your replys. Im glad im not alone in all this. Calm thankyou, i will try what you suggested :flower:

Yeah, I suffer from anxiety. Had another episode recently which was quite scary. Didn't sleep for days really and got so so worked up and cried constantly.
Made myself ill over it.
Doc tried to give me antidepressants but OH won't have it. Got referred for counselling but didn't think it helped at all.
Can't really feel it coming either, cause it builds up over time and then hits me all at once. :cry: x

yep me to0 mines awful at the mo! the gp wont give me anything for it! wants to send me to cbt again! x

yep me to0 mines awful at the mo! the gp wont give me anything for it! wants to send me to cbt again! x

Personally I rather envy you for your GP, I had one years ago that put me on medication and I got really ill for years when I finally stopped taking it, panic attacks came back with a vengeance, at least CBT doesn't have any side effects ! XXX

I can relate too.Anytime you want to chat i'm always around xxx

I was on meds for a very long time for my panic attacks, and last year I was treated for mild depression and anxiety. I'm a lot better lately as I did some therapy and took some serious decisions about my life. No more meds for me if possible. I just started ttc after 2 horrible years and I'm optimistic so far. I still have some anxiety but now I'm more proactive and actually trying to do something rather than just let my emotions kill me.

It's not an easy ride, but you have to bite the bullet and go for it, or else you are wasting your life. We only get 1 shot in life and I don't want to be miserable.

I feel for you and pray for you, please be strong!

Thanks, im so fed up as i want it to all go away so i dont have to sit in fear everyday, i dont know what i fear over, i try to sleep most of the day away as i cant handle all these horrible symptoms. I just dont want to have an attack when im in labour or have the anxiety after the baby is here, i cry when i see new mums as i know they dont feel like i do and are enjoying the time :(

Thanks, im so fed up as i want it to all go away so i dont have to sit in fear everyday, i dont know what i fear over, i try to sleep most of the day away as i cant handle all these horrible symptoms. I just dont want to have an attack when im in labour or have the anxiety after the baby is here, i cry when i see new mums as i know they dont feel like i do and are enjoying the time :(

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Oh hun , don't be afraid, you'll be fine when the baby comes. Just plan the whole thing through out and stick to the plan. I find planning things and sticking to the plan very comforting, puts a little order in the chaos.
Prepare a schedule for when the baby will come home and ask your OH to help you with that. Sure there will be unexpected things, but if you know there is structure you will feel sooo much better. I Promise!

Hugs and kisses, I feel for you!

When you have a panic attack the "fight flee" response is activated. In that moment of giving birth, you will want to fight, that is push and fight for your baby to be born. Having said that, in the moment of giving birth so many other things will be going on that if you have an attack you will most probably find that it just rolls off you without seeming important, why? because that whats happens when we have bigger fish to fry and the poor panic monster will just lose his protagonism. If all of this is not true, remember you are in hospital surrounded by doctors that can help. Before birth ask your doctor's and midwife about this subject. What would happen if you had an attack? And let their answers reassure you. take care XXX

Being in a hospital with a doctor and nurse while you panic is a lot safer than having an attack while driving for instance.
Try to rationalize it. When I have attacks I always think "oh gosh my heart, I'm dying" which makes me worse and more panicky. If I was at a hospital at least i'd think there are ppl who know their job around me and they can save me.

And as calm said you can use your flee instinct to push hard. I never thought of that. Thanks calm!

Hey tilly-maggie,

I hope this helps. I'm going through the same thing, although I'm getting better (especially today).

I can totally relate to you.

I'm on 20mg of Prozac (just into it about three weeks or less). I was on Paxil for years before we found out I was pregnant. Just as soon as I did find out, I took myself off Paxil ASAP (weaned of course). I was ok for a few months, then the "fear thoughts" came back like mad.

Talked to my OB, she put me on Prozac and suggested counseling for the remaining part of the pregnancy.

It sucks. That's all I can say about the dark side of panic. It just plain drains you and sucks time in life you could be happy. I understand.

I've had my bouts with anxiety and even a couple of full blown panic attacks in my 11 years of dealing with the "thought" of anxiety. First one happened to me in 1999 and second one in 2003. Not one panic attack sense though. Just the fear of having one.

My fears went away for a while. Almost a couple of years. Then I found out I was pregnant, lost my job due to the US economy, no Paxil, no coffee and I even quit smoking cold turkey! So now my fears are back and in hindsight, I'm not surprised they are. I did a lot of "quitting" bad habits all at once for my little guy on the way. I'll never take that back, but it's been hard.

The fear of anxiety has been hard.

Here's the good news. :cloud9:

How I got over the fear of anxiety and panic before is this.

I STOPPED being AFRAID of it, because there is nothing at all it can do to hurt or even kill you.

Now I'm pregnant and felt very vulnerable - then fear set back in.

Facts: Even if you're pregnant, you are under the constant care of your doc and you have will power to make certain changes to help your baby to the finish line (and yours too).

Nobody has ever died from panic.

Lots of pregnant women have panic and even panic attacks and their babies are just fine. :thumbup:

If you stop fearing them, realize you are "always" ok, that even if you did panic, they are "just" feelings that WILL go away (panic attacks are always time limited), and there is nothing wrong with you, your heart, your lungs, your mind ... believe that ... and it should be gone.

I've talked to several doctors over the years, consulted psychotherapy workbooks, and first hand experience and I'm still here ... breathing, living and not nuts.

I'm just now coming down from my recent bout with fear. It makes sense. We're pregnant and not to mention my OB said hormones play a big role in this - but the bottom line is it will and IS ok.

I hope that helps. I know it helped me to share a bit. You're not alone and this too shall pass!!!

I am telling myself this everyday now. There is NOTHING to be afraid of with panic. NOTHING!!!

Because, tilly-maggie, it is so true and such a fact - sometimes we just need that reminder to feel ok again.

Write anytime - we can all use shoulders while we go through any hardship, and IT WILL help to have those shoulders while going through pregnancy too. Our hormones, aches, pains, "too much thinking" or whatever it is - women coming together for each other is sooooooooo important!

COUNT ME IN!!! :thumbup:

So rest your mind knowing there is nothing to fear. It's ok. We don't have to be perfect. Poo happens and if it happens again, you and I and everyone who deals with this will be alright. I promise you and myself!!! ;)

Sorry ... I forgot my point (pregnancy makes you absentminded I hear - lol).

I'm going back to my old and true belief system. There is nothing to fear. That's how I got over it the first time and will again. The only reason it works is because it's not only practical, but 110% true! Can't argue with the facts.

There is nothing to fear with panic:

Panic will not kill you
Panic will not make you stop breathing
Panic will not give you a heart attack
Panic will not make you go crazy .... etc.

There are rational and medically proven reasons to all the facts above. Trust me, I've tried hard to debunk them. LOL None of it, simply, cannot happen.

It's just as simple as "there is nothing to be afraid of" and that's that. Something I'm going to remind myself of minute by minute if I have to, in order to move on with my life, because quite frankly I'm getting sick and tired of myself and irrational fear thoughts. ;)

You can do this too!!!! Believe!

Hugs!

nThat's good advice IWolfie, and congrats on your pregnancy! A CBT is a great approach because you learn to make these statements your own, so eventually we stop thinking things like "i will suffocate and die from hyperventilation" to "Its impossible to stop breathing or die however bad hyperventilation is, it is always time limited, and there is no danger, just symptoms however unpleasant they can seem" When we learn to think and believe these rational statements instead of the irrational ones, we will get better. We just have to stop being a victim, and take control of ourselves, let panic come if it wants, it cannot hurt us, and if we don't reinforce it it will eventually disappear for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->