Anyone take up a sport as an adult?

AngelofTroy

Reaction score
I don't do a lot of exercise at the moment. I used to walk for miles and cycle everywhere but as I now have 2 kids I can't take baby on the bike and my nearly 4yo can't walk the speed or distance I want to. I don't drive so we still walk but it's not exercise really.

I hate gyms. I love swimming but lane swimming bores me after a while.

This will sound silly but watching my son at his rugby tots class has made me miss games and sport. I have no idea what but is it possible to start a team sport as a beginner as an adult? Anyone done it?

No, but my OH and I were joking about me taking up beach volleyball after finding out that the US women's team are 35 and 37 years old. I figure I still have time. :lol:

I would also like to start doing a sport again. I haven't played anything since high school and I have missed it over the years. Actually I want to learn hip hop dancing but I am a useless dancer and I'm too scared to go to classes as I will look like an uncoordinated frump.

Go for it though, I say!

I started playing netball for the first time since school earlier this year, I've had to stop for a bit as my husband is away but plan to rejoin next year, I feel a bit silly as I'm rubbish but theyre very patient with me! I've started doing HIIT work outs at home to make sure I'm doing something while my husband is away.

They were great, I was really nervous as I was bullied in PE as a teenager and this is an RAF team so I was nervous they'd all be uber fit and I'd look silly, they are and I think I do haha but they're really friendly and encouraging.

A few of my friends play netball for a local league, if you google it there will be a list of local netball teams in your area and then just contact them. I no one or two teams that take on beginners here as I keep looking at it myself!

I have a few friends who play hockey - looks lethal though :haha:. Have a google around your local area.

I'm not sporty but do dance, i've found it's becoming more popular with adults now :)

I picked up rugby as an adult, there was a women's rugby league in my city and because rugby isn't a super common sport in Canada and wasn't part of high school sports at that time, a lot of the women had never played before. I stopped playing only because I moved to a different town where there was no league.

I now compete in triathlons and I picked that up as an adult. If you like swimming and cycling maybe you can give that a try? I have a bike trailer that also converts to a jogging stroller so I can both bike and run with Isla in tow (it's a double size trailer so I can do the same when we have baby #2). Lane swimming can be boring but it is a lot more fun if you find a masters group or triathlon training group to swim with so there are other people all doing the same workout in the pool.

I love swimming but also found lane swimming a bit boring till I realised Speedo sell waterproof mp3 players. Now I listen to music as I swim and it's a lot more fun.

In my area (Bournemouth) they run a 'back to netball' class/programme for those who are interested in getting back into it but perhaps don't have the skills or fitness right now to immediately start playing in a team. Bristol is a much larger city than Bournemouth, so it may be worth a google?

I would love to get back into it once this baby is here.

I've also seen a similar thing with rounders recently advertised on a local facebook group. Again, maybe worth seeing if there is anything similar in your area?

I'm a member of quite a few local area facebook groups and I see things like this pop up quite often. If you're not on your local ones, I'd recommend getting on one :)

I have started cricket when I was 19 years old. still doing it.

Have you thought of Roller Derby?
Local Netball teams are advertised, i used to play on my school teams 20+ years ago and have so much fun...I am tempted to join

I am thinking of taking up Scuba Diving again. Did it as a teen but haven't done it in a long time.

A friend of mine join a hockey team a year or so ago. She loves it.

My area do netball sessions, cycling, running etc. I don't do any though. If I was to do anything it would probably be swimming!

I want to take up a sport but I'm a bit nervous and keep making excuses not to. I was awful at PE at school and hated it, so that holds me back a lot! :blush:

If it helps you I wasnt any good at PE either but I think in PE they dont focus on teaching, they just rate your natural prowess I think. I couldnt throw to safe my ass at school(like 15 m(not even half a gym in indoor cricket)) and now I play cricket I learnt to throw . Same with badminton I used to do, I couldnt serve the shuttlecock at all but i started playing it in a club and it took only a few sessions and I learnt it.

I want to take up a sport but I'm a bit nervous and keep making excuses not to. I was awful at PE at school and hated it, so that holds me back a lot! :blush:

This!

It also doesn't help that I look like I could be one of mr blobbys relatives :lol:

I'd love to get back into dance but just don't have the nerve (or the time really!)

I was gonna suggest roller derby too, a few of my pole students do it.
Or even pole - it can be a competitive sport and not just dance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->