anyone taking acyclovir?

blessed83

Reaction score
I've been prescribed acyclovir for prevention of herpes outbreak in the last few weeks... I've had herpes for about a decade now and rarely get outbreaks, i know the risks but i am very reluctant to take it since i do not take medication as a general rule.
I was just wondering who is taking it and if you have had any side effects?

aww bless you, i get coldsores on my nose and lip a few times a year and i fekking hate em with a vengance, ive packed some zovirax into my hosp bag just ncase one pops its ugly head whilst i'm in labour, i'm assumeing yours are in a more intimate place? i've a friend who got them from an ex partner but she's had them yrs now and copes well with the outbrakes through her medication.
Av just txt her at the beggining of writeing this but she's not replied yet for me to tell you of her side effects so pointless reply really!! sorry x

I took valtrex a few years ago for suspected genital herpes (neg thankfully!!) but I had no side effects. I would definately take it as there is a huge risk during an outbreak to passing on the herpes virus during birth. The virus can actually cause blindness if it does transmit (I am sure this is rare, and you already know like you said!). I didnt know they generally prescribed it if you werent having an outbreak though? I would probably take it to be safe though, I think it will help prevent LO from contracting during delivery either way.

I get regular cold sores on my lips, and usually use acyclovir (Zovirax).
However, I have been told not to use it at all during pregnancy, as it is dangerous for the baby, and just to let the cold sores disappear on their own (painful and itchy).
Im not sure if the advice is different for genital herpes?
Good luck Hun :flower:

I was on acyclovir tablets when i found out i was pregnant as i suffer alot from coldscore on my lips, GOD I HATE THEM!!!
Oddley i never seem to get them when im pregnant (kiss of death)
However when i went to tell the doc i was pregnant she said to stop using them!!
So hope it all ok
xx

I've had herpes for a couple of years now, and usually use acyclovir cream and famcyclovir pills for it. I guess those help a bit, but I heard good things about hsv-zero topical treatment, decided to give it a try. It speeds up the healing a lot, and sometimes prevents the outbreak altogether for me, if I slather it on when I get itchy.

I was on acyclovir for six months before ttc due to contiuous outbreaks. I stopped taking them when we were ttc and consequently during the first trimester. Had an outbreak during that time and it was so painful, but my baby comes first! Am now in 3rd trimester and currently have another (very painful) outbreak. My OBgyn said it was fine to take acyclovir now but as I'm on antibiotics for toxoplasmosis for the remainder of my pregnancy, I feel like I'm taking too many pills already, so have decided to live through the pain and not take them. If I should have an outbreak when the baby comes, I'll have a c-section so that my baby won't be affected.

I've had herpes for a couple of years now, and usually use acyclovir cream and famcyclovir pills for it. I guess those help a bit, but I heard good things about hsv-zero topical treatment, decided to give it a try. It speeds up the healing a lot, and sometimes prevents the outbreak altogether for me, if I slather it on when I get itchy.

Hey Fairydust, where can you get the topical treatment and can you use it whilst preggers? X

my doctor has prescribed me to take acyclovir from 36 weeks up till delivery date, I am very nervious on taking the medication I know its a must and I am aware there is only a 1 percent chance of something happening to the baby from the medication, but that 1 percent is a big percent to me.. I was just wondering if everything went ok with your delivery and baby when you were taking the medication?
I have been doing research for 3 hours and just making me more and more nervious I read that even with the medication the virus can get through to the baby if your water breaks or if they need to use forceps or a fetal heart monitor during vaginal birth.. but then I looked into a c section and it seems very risky itself for complications to happen

my doctor has prescribed me to take acyclovir from 36 weeks up till delivery date, I am very nervious on taking the medication I know its a must and I am aware there is only a 1 percent chance of something happening to the baby from the medication, but that 1 percent is a big percent to me.. I was just wondering if everything went ok with your delivery and baby when you were taking the medication?
I have been doing research for 3 hours and just making me more and more nervious I read that even with the medication the virus can get through to the baby if your water breaks or if they need to use forceps or a fetal heart monitor during vaginal birth.. but then I looked into a c section and it seems very risky itself for complications to happen

Brittany, I'm 36 weeks and am currently taking acyclovir and will be until I deliver to prevent any outbreaks. This is considered suppressive therapy which I've done for a majority of time of when dating my DH. I have yet to and plan on not on passing it on to him based on his lack of symptoms. So I'm a firm believer that suppressive therapy works when taking the medication appropriately. also, with me having this virus for so long, over a decade, my body is used to this virus. Come on Labor Day, if I do happen to have active lesions/blisters ( which is what is so contagious) then of course I'll have a c section. I have a friend who did the suppressive therapy for her two pregnacies and she delivered naturally, no complications, and two boys are now happy, active and smart boys.

Dont worry about it. Acyclovir is an antiviral and is fine to take during the last few weeks of pregnancy. This is my 2nd pregnancy since i was diagnosed with herpes 4 years ago and it seems to be the standard to take it from 35/36-40weeks. I did with my last and he is as healthy as can be. :)

I'm taking it until delivery. The effects of baby catching the virus by far exceed any risks of taking the medication.. imo. But it's personal choice.

okay thank you for you reply.
do you know if she avoided using forceps and fetal heart monitor during labour and having her water broken? because I read on google last night that the virus can get to baby with any of those and having your water broken because its used as a barrier for the baby

okay thank you for you replies.
have your doctors said anything about the safety of using forceps and fetal heart monitor during labour and having water broken? because I read on google last night that the virus can get to baby with any of those and having your water broken because its used as a barrier for the baby so that's made me nervous also so I just want to know if its true or not what I read on the safety of them being used and done during labour..
also what dose are you all taking for the aclyclovir?

I dont remember what mg it was but i didnt need foreceps and they had to break my water. Had no problems. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->