• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone taking antihistamines while breastfeeding?

Thumbelina 3

1 child of 2 years 9month
Reaction score
i have awful hayfever and have never managed a summer without medication or at least antihistamines. I've been searching google for what is safe while breastfeeding and some say certain antihistamines are such as Zirtec and clarityn. So took one yesterday but am really worried will harm baby or milk supply. Although I have loads of milk at the moment so slowing it abit wouldn't be a major prob. What is everyone else doing/taking?

I took Claritin occasionally with my first when my allergies got so bad I couldn't deal with it. I had oversupply so it didn't matter as much if my supply took a hit (which it did).

With my second, my supply was more precarious so I didn't risk it. It was pretty miserable though.

I was allergic to something during my pregnancy and first few weeks after I gave birth (as it only happens when I have pregnancy hormones in my body for some reason) and took benadryl (as directed by my doctor) to relieve my hives. Not exactly the same but I know she said it's fine to take while bfing!

I took antihistamines while I was at my IL's house at Christmas because I'm allergic to cats and they have two. I took them for a week without even thinking if they were compatible with nursing (my LO was 2.5 so breastfeeding wasn't something that came to mind straight away anymore) and didn't notice any ill-effects regarding her or my supply. It's probably worth speaking with a doctor/public health nurse about beforehand, though (after I looked it up once I realized that I had taken a week's worth of antihistamines while nursing it said to consult a physician before use).

I've spoken to the chemist and they said there's nothing I can take. Might have to risk it though, I'm going insane! Will look out for one that PP posted x

I'm wondering if should stop taking them but not sure how I'll cope!my little ones only 10 weeks and seems 2 sleep a lot after I've had one. Even tho there not meant to cause sleepiness :(

I wouldn't bother asking a chemist as, in my experience, they are overly cautious. Our local one wouldn't sell me eye drops or Canesten cream while pregnant. Both of which the doctor was happy to prescribe. Worth checking with your doctor rather than suffering x

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'll ask the chemist as don't think their allowed to sell if breastfeeding regardless if ok. Was the same with my anti sickness pills.

I have always head that you can take anything while breastfeeding that they would prescribe yo your baby... ie, some antibiotics

My son is in Zyrtec... maybe that one is ok?

Hi ladies! I have Angioedema & dermagraphic urticaria (which basically means if I don't take Zyrtec, I get crazy itchy and hives all over my skin - I can even "write" on my skin - it puffs up in the formation of whatever pressure I used on my skin). Anyway, long story short, I took Zyrtec throughout my pregnancy AND nursing. I am currently still nursing a 2 year old, and I've been on Zyrtec the whole time. Never had an issue (personally) although since I've never been off Zyrtec, I guess I have nothing to compare it to.

Just thought I'd share just in case it helps one of you! :flower:

I take Claritin occasionally, and I've never had a problem. There's an app called MommyMeds that's supposed to be very reliable for figuring out if a medication is safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->