Anyone taking or have taken a short maternity leave?

3xpire

Mother to Kalei Mae (:
Reaction score
Since I'm looking for a job right now, I'm considering taking a shorter maternity leave (I'm talking maybe three weeks, maybe four) and I was wondering if any of you guys took a short maternity leave, or if any of you plan to do so?

Any tips? Advice? Thoughts?

I hope that works for you (sincerely!), but I wouldn't have been up to working three or four weeks after having my son. I definitely needed the 6 weeks I had, and STILL didn't want to go back when I did.

If you're able to play it by ear, I'd do that - you may bounce back super quick and feel great after a week or two, but it's possible you'll feel rundown and kinda like you got hit by a truck for a longer time.

it will depend on your birth too. I had EMCS and i was still struggling to walk around the supermarket at 3 weeks and ofcoarse you can't drive for 6 weeks (in the UK anyways). I know we are very lucky here with our mat leave... get 9 months paid. I was so tired for months i have no idea how women could work with a newborn but i understand not everyone has a choice. Best advise is wait and see how you feel cause everyone is different. Good luck x

I'm taking 8 weeks but am lucky that after that I'm going to start working from home as my job can be done any time of day really.

I will pop into the office a few times a week but can easily take baby with me. :)

You gotta do what you gotta do, but that doesn't sound ideal. I couldn't imagine having to go back after such a short time with my first. I really hope that you do well with it, but if at all possible I would suggest doing whatever you can to give yourself at least 6 weeks. I should think that your employer would have to give you at least that much, I know you have to be employed for 12 months before you qualify for FMLA (12 weeks of job protection) but any less than 6 weeks (unpaid probably) would be unreasonable. For that very reason it may be difficult for you to get a job right now anyway. Are you changing jobs or getting a job from scratch?

I'll be pretty much back to work straight away, I work from home and have my own business, my main client is my husband and his books won't get done by themselves (I'm an accountant) also the phone won't stop ringing just because I've had a baby. I will ignore it for the first couple of weeks and put the answerphone on, but things fall apart if I don't work and I have deadlines to meet. I will look after baby during the day, do an hours work here and there (inbetween breastfeeds lol) and do anything urgent in the evenings/weekend when hubby is home! It will be hard work but I'm good at juggling!

I couldn't go out of the house to work though, that would require getting dressed and putting make up on, neither of which I'm anticipating I will be doing for some time lol!

Good luck :)

I'm a SAHW right now, the plan is to be a SAHM. That might have to change depending on how things go with DH as he's ending his job as a teacher when the school term ends (3 weeks after my due date_, and in the past I've been able to find jobs a lot easier than he has. However, I will absolutely take the 6 week minimum before I pursue any job leads! If you can swing it financially I say do it. You can never get that time back with your little one.

Thanks everyone! And yeah, I really don't WANT to take three weeks, but I have so many fears that if I take any longer, I won't be able to afford to live x.x W2 Welfare Cash Assistance gives us $643 max I think a month for the first two months and that's it, and nowhere here gives paid maternity leaves (although I really, really wish). Just hoping I have a speedy recovery then I suppose :S

And yeah I have to get a job from scratch basically. I had a job set up for myself, but then realized after orientation that it would be way, way too stressful on my body for me to even handle it safely. It's just a mess.

I will possibly be taking a short maternity leave, it all depends on when she arrives.

I am due early July but I am also a student at university, my plan is to attend school part-time the end of August. I also plan on going back to work part-time once school starts. I'm really hoping she doesn't go overdue and the best would be if she came early so I'd have more time to recover and spend time with her. My husband will be taking five weeks paternity leave regardless so that will really help :)

Good luck to you, I hope you find a job that fits your needs perfectly so that taking a short maternity leave isn't so hard :D

Mat leave in Canada is 1 year, I have decided to take 6 months, hubby and I can not afford for me to be off any longer than that. I also am working up as far as I can go.

I'm slowly beginning to become jealous of canadian women haha. I WISH I could have an entire year!

My plan is to be seeing clients again to my internship after two weeks. It will only be a few hours a week though. No where close to full time. It's for school and I really have no other choice. I need to get all my hours by the end of the quarter baby or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->