Anyone use a rubber sheet on their bed in the last weeks?

jessmke

Reaction score
OK so I realize there are larger things I should be thinking about, but I am worried about my waters going while I am in bed and my mattress getting ruined! How much fluid comes out, is it enough to soak through the bedding and ruin a mattress? Has anyone used a rubber sheet to protect their mattress?

I plan on buying one as I hear that nighttime is the most likely time your waters will break...mine have never broken on their own but I want to be cautious as I do believe it's possible for it to potentially ruin a mattress, I know I'd be grossed out about it personally if it got on my mattress.

We have a mattress protector on our mattress anyway, but yeah, I'd say get one! They don't have to be the crinkly rubber kind. Ours is water proof backed, but feels soft on top, and no noise.

We have a washable matress protector and a topper of foam, I think the foam would dry just fine. My pharmacist is really super sweet to me when I come in and last time she set me up with the whole 'pregnancy package'. You can get super absorbant square pads for the bed and layer them. She said there's 25-50 to a pack and they're very thin and $4.99, typically used in hospitals and there will be one on your bed too in the hospital. She said you'll need them when your bleeding and boobs are leaking (eewwwww really) after you deliver. Sounds like a messy situation! Then she got me the Tina disposable undies and Always pads that go right up the back that you can also soak with water & freeze (vajaaja Popsicle she called it). I think I'm set:haha:

I put one on my bed based on a feeling and that night my waters broke in bed! I did however find it torturous to sleep on, so darn hot and sweaty!! I'd never ever use one again unless I had a really really good feeling lol Makes me feel sorry for babies sleeping on PVC, so icky! I'd go the incontinence undies/pads or cotton protectors based on experience haha!!

We have a waterproof mattress protector which is non crinkly (search terry mattress protector). I agree it's good to have one on after too for various leakage inc baby sick etc. Its amazing how little a sheet stops! But you can just buy the hospital absorbant mats too (I find they move about too much).

I have some big square maternity pads (like the hospital ones) I used them last time although my waters didn't break until I was in the hospital but I will be using this time also :thumbup: I got mine from Boots

I had one on my bed, it was a nice decent one tho soft on top. Good job, my waters broke when I rolled over in bed both times lol x

I been debating weather on not to purchase some, I might have to look into it :)

Never thought about this! They broke when I was sitting on the couch but managed to get to the bathroom before it gushed! I have a whole pack of puppy pads, think I'll just pop them under the fitted sheet on top of the mattress protector.

My waters broke in bed in the middle of the night and it really wasn't a big deal. I got up right away and went to the toilet, but they definitely gushed out as I was lying down in bed. It was enough to make maybe a 1 ft in diameter wet spot on the sheets, but it really didn't soak through to the mattress that much. I would say it's not much more than the kind of wet spot you might leave on the bed doing other things, if you know what I mean, and it certainly smells nicer and seems less gross, I think. We changed the sheet, but didn't do anything special with the mattress. It was fine. If you are really concerned, you could put a bed mat (maternity kind or like a puppy pad), underneath the fitted sheet, to catch anything that might trickle through. Honestly, I wouldn't really bother though. I didn't think it was a big deal and it dried just fine.

I have a waterproof mattress protector as well so that should cover me. For my first I had gotten up at 4 am to pee and it was when I stood up that my water broke & I could feel it leak, I guess that was luck. I then grabbed myself and hobbled to the bathroom fast where I was able to sit on the toilet and then the really big gushes came out. Still messy but I was in the bathroom at that point thankfully.

My daughter is just about toilet trained day and night now but I bought these huggies dry nights pads that go on the bed and I have a few left. They have a big surface area and if you put it under the top sheet you don't even know it's there.
My waters were broken for me by the hospital last time and there was alot! But I had polyhydromnios last time. I am hoping to go into labour myself this time so I will be using one of those pads from about 2 weeks before my due date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->