Anyone used/ or planning on using a Tens machine?

Louloubelle78

Reaction score
I've looked into and have hired a Tens machine to use during labour.

I hired the Elle Tens machine: https://www.pregnancytens.co.uk/Hir...ed-Free-Practice-Electrodes-Included_p_8.html

Has anyone used this or any others and what was your experience? Was it worth it? Are any of you also planning on using one?

i have one my sis in law lent me and am gonna use it, im due june 2nd.
she used it and my sis used it and they both found it very good for gettin u to about 8 cm, she said after that it gets 'overridden' by contractions. :)
but i still think it be great to use to get that far, then hopefully not too much longer left :)

I'm planning on renting one but not entirely sure where from yet...

Will be stalking :0)

lol same ^

I borrowed one last time and it was great - got me to 7cm.
Not sure where to hire from this time....

Dunno if it helps, but the link I posted is where I hired mine :)

They have a number of different ones, but I went with the Elle because it came with the practice pads :)

I bought one in 2005 and it was £35 money well spent. It is neurotrac brand which are a reputable 'proper' medical brand whose equipment is used by NHS therapists. You can often find them for as little as £5 on eBay and you can easily get new pads, leads and so on. Mine the battery lasted until 2010 through two labours and I only took it out because it expired. The only thing I would say about maternity TENS is later on in labour you tend to get really sweaty and even the best quality obstetric electrode pads will start to slide off and lose contact with your skin. In the worst case scenario if you sweat really badly the lead can come out of the pad wire and zap you, ouch! They really should invent a belt type electrode for use during labour and I have a vague recollection of something of that nature being available in the past-but not now. You may also find that it's best to keep the 'base' level of stimulation as low as is feasible because on many units the level it boosts to is also increases in relation if you increase the base level and the strength of the zap when you press the boost button can then be a bit of a shock! They aren't too good for very fast labours but are great for more drawn out, longer labours with more of a build up xx

Actually, thats a really good deal - I'm not sure I've found better. Thanks
Rx

boots rent them too in ireland, presume they do in uk too.
its prob as dear to rent um as buy um with that deal though :)
u could always sell it on after :)

Sorry to bump! Just wanted to know if anyone else has any experience of a Tens or if you are newbie like me planning to use one :)

I used one in my last labour! I definitely recommend them but as pp said, after a certain point (in my case about 10 mins before pushing) they do nothing for you. But well worth while up to that point! I borrowed the hospitals one last time - they are not always available though. I'm going to ask my midwife if I can book one for this time

I used a TENS first time round and have hired one for this time too - from www.birthease.co.uk

I think it helped with the pain but it's difficult to say for sure, and I agree with pps who said that later in labour it doesn't help, in fact I started to find it really annoying and uncomfortable! But at the very least it was a good distraction in the earlier stages and I do think it helped me to get through the labour without using any drugs which was what I was aiming for. Fingers crossed it'll help this time too....

I'd say go for it! x

I have bought a Physiomed TENS machine. Got it off eBay for £15 with a full set of new pads.

Been told by midwife that as soon as I think labour is starting (or even beforehand from 37wks if I fancy it) get it on!

I'm hoping it wil work well.

TENS is great! It's the only pain relief I used (I had a home birth and never needed the gas and air). I was fully dilated and starting to push without even realising it. I was just breathing slowly and chatting softly between contractions and never felt like I was overwhelmed or in any real pain. The key is just starting it early (at least an hour) before you really think you might need any pain relief, so that it can help build up your endorphins. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->