Anyone with bipolar??

Jamiesmummy22

Reaction score
I was diagnosed with depression back in december last year, put on fluoxetine which didnt work they made me aggressive and I flew into a rage several times, I was recently put on citalopram which I am experiencing some pretty weird side effects after a while of taking them I found myself to be over excited about things, constantly happy and bursting with energy. Im slighty worried as I havent been honest with the doctor about my behaviour these last few months. I have been acting recklessly, I broke up with my partner and started seeing another guy and having unprotected sex, kissing strangers ect running up 3000 on my credit card buying clothes, my moods have been up and down one minute im buzzing excited and happy the next im down and depressed feeling suicidal. Since being on both these meds it seems to have made my sidee
effects worse. So far I ve been on a high for 4 days and its like nothing can stop it, im just scared cause I know im going to hit a low point and last time I ended up in hospital. Can someone who has been diagnosed with bipolar give me some information on symptoms and how there bipolar was diagnosed. Im not saying I have bipolar I just know somethings not right and I am experiencing quite a few sympytoms of bipolar, I have a docs appointment tomorrow so I am going to be honest with him this time, thanks

Hi Hun.

I was diagnosed with clinical depression in 2005. However after a heart to heart with my mum about it I realised that it wasn't all that simple. I looked back through my old diaries and could see a definate pattern where I would have a week or two where I was reckless, not sleeping (or needing to sleep) and took a lot of risks. I lost some very close friends during one manic episode... I spoke to my GP and got an assessment with the mental health team. Basically they talk to you and ask you about your past, experiences and symptoms. In 2009 I was diagnosed with BiPolar after a very bad down time.

I tried a lot of different medication and had some psychological intervention that helped me and my partner to recognise my triggers and what to do when the manics or downs started to show. I came of lithium when we started trying for a baby. 3 years later and I am still not back on it. I manage my condition by acknowledging how I am feelings and taking note of any early warning signs. My main problem is with the depression as I have not had a full-blown manic episode in years.

I am on 20mg of fluoxetine a day and can adjust my dose up to 60mg depending on how I am feeling. My psychiatrist and doctor trust me to do this as when I have felt suicidal I have told people and sought help.

I think with something like this the key is to recognise your triggers and understand how you can stop yourself spiralling out of control. I think you should have a chat with your gp and ask to be assessed by someone. If you can access some kind of psychological intervention then I think it can really help. The trouble with a lot of bipolar meds is that they make you feel really dull! I hated them so if you can learn about how BiPolar affects you then I think that you are better off in the long run.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->