anyone worry about safety of scans?

T

tinytoes

i never really did until i googled "ultrasound safety" and similar phrases. There seems to certainly be a movement of people who believe scans can harm, and some suggest that it can hurt the brains or increase risks of death around the time of birth.....jesus....how can I be reassured that these are just scare mongers?.......christ, as if we dont have neough to worry about!!!!

I think if the hospitals thought there was any chance of that happening they wouldn't do it

i have never given this that much thought but, lets think about it rationally people generally have only 3 or 4 scans the whole time- in some countries if that. if they really believed there was a danger to the baby why would they do them? we are talking about doctors here who train for years. im sure that you can find lots of literature on the subject and there is bound to be someone out there who'll say its unsafe but have u ever heard of a baby who had brain damage coz of an ultrasound? just my thoughts..

but the4n look at that drug they used to give for morning sickness....phalidamide?!...(spelling way out I'm sure!...)

Maybe i'm just having a worrying day..

if im not mistaken that was a very long time ago- the morning sickness drug. look you are right things in medicine have been known to turn out badly before having any way of knowing their impact,but sonograms have been around a while, surely by now there would have been some evidence. also with that drug the babies came out deformed.

Nah you're having a protective mummy day! I'm sure your LO will be fine :)

I have had quite a few scans hun and my LO is fine, if there was a risk then the hospitals wouldn't do them

The risk of NOT having one and them missing something really important is more worrying imo. They're there for a reason, and if there was something wrong then I'd much rather find out earlier in the scan, than when it was too late to do anything about, and equally I'd much rather know that everything is fine than be worrying about that. x

a scan is just sound though.... if you look into the way it actually works i can't see anyway it can harm a baby. an X-ray is a different.

Millions of scans are done each year, if the scans were truly a problem I think that we'd hear more about it on the news, in forums, etc.

Scans are done with a very very low frequency sound. The sound waves could be heard and maybe damage the ears of a dog or a cat, but no human baby can hear them. :)

I don't think there is any real evidence to support these ideas and when you think about what an ultrasound actually is, it's unlikely to go your baby any harm.

There's no evidence of harm, but there's no evidence of their safety either. I believe that it's recommended that scans are kept to a minimum. I had 2 routine ones followed by a third when I went overdue. I think, like everything in life it's about weighing up the risks.

i never really did until i googled "ultrasound safety" and similar phrases. There seems to certainly be a movement of people who believe scans can harm, and some suggest that it can hurt the brains or increase risks of death around the time of birth.....jesus....how can I be reassured that these are just scare mongers?.......christ, as if we dont have neough to worry about!!!!

Look around at how many babies are born every day and how many toddlers, young kiddies there are etc.....that will give you a little idea of how scans in moderation, do no harm what so ever! x

hmpppp...i hope you0re all right...

Ah well... I am just too excited about the 20 wk scan in a few weeks...I couldnt say no unless some serious evidemce popped up..I'm going to keep reading this website which says it's fine.....
https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=obstetricus&bhcp=1

Here they scan every month, but only a really quick check to see the heart beating, then it's stopped. only at the big statges do we have the big scans - 12 wks, 20 wks etc.

I went to hospital for an emergency scan at 11 weeks coz I had a lot of stomach cramps, dizzy and fainting spells, and bleeding. I had an unltrasound two days later, and I was due to have my dating scan the following week. When I went in at 12 wks, my doctor told me that they dont like to do a lot of scans in early pregnancy, but I was still bleeding so he gave me one anyway.

I dont think that theres a MASSIVE risk, I guess if you were having one everyday it would be different. But the benefits outweight the risks I think, at least they can check your babys development and if theres anything wrong provide the right care they can.

I dont think theres anything to worry about. Think about the amount of people who have perfectly healthy babies, and they all have unltrasounds.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->