Anyone's 4 week old wide awake in night?

stephj25

Reaction score
So, here's how my day goes.

through the day, my LO feeds every 1.5 hours and goes straight to sleep after. Unless he has hiccups which brings on overtiredness and a crying fit for about half an hour.

We get to around 5:30pm and he pretty much cries non-stop until around 8:30pm which we cannot stop, we've tried everything.

When he finally goes to sleep, he goes around every 2 hours until 2am, then he's awake until around 6am, co-sleeping seems to calm him down but he's still really fussy and never asleep.

I go through that awful time where you think you've had a good sleep, look at the time and realise I've only had 10mins sleep between LO's grunting and crying.

What is everyone elses night time like at this age? When does it start improving? Is there anything I can do to help?

My baby is 6 weeks now, but at 4 weeks he was also awake for large portions of the night. He would feed constantly! During the day he feeds every 1.5-2 hours. At night I'd feed him for about 40 mins (often longer), burp him, settle him down beside me and within 10 mins he'd be grunting and rooting for milk again! Its exhausting, especially when you have another child to care for! He's generally fairly settled between feeds as long as we hold him.

Over the past week he's started to go longer between some feeds. For example, last night he slept from 10 till 1. I fed him, then he woke again at 2:30. Then he cluster fed from 5am till, well, he's still latched on now!

I don't think there's much we can do; my theory is that it'll settle down in its own time. I know this is all normal feeding behaviour...hopefully we'll get to the 3 hour pattern soon though! Till then I find cake, cosleeping and a daily trip outside all helps. Hang in there Mama!

Edited: I'm sorry to have no advice, but just wanted you to know you're not alone!

That sounds awful. Hang in there. For us things started to improve by 6-8 weeks corrected age for my lo. It gets better but it's crazy when you're in it. I had lots of support to get me through from dh and my mom. My mom even stayed a couple of nights sometimes to hold lo as he didn't like anything else. She would try to keep him calm so I could get the odd 2-3 hr stretch of sleep either in the night (rarely) or for a day time nap. I hope it gets better for you. It does sound normal though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->