Anyones preemie refusing the bottle 7mnths now

dippy

Reaction score
Hey well my bubba was born at 26 weeks she's now 7 months so has never had a problem with her bottle before but since iv weaned her she's beginning to reject the bottle but will happily suck in her sleep.
It's not thrush or throat problems-seems like laziness but just tryna find a solution as she's literally only drinking about 200 ml a day when she should b on 5-600 mls plus 3 meals. It's also definetely affecting her weight as she's barely put anything on since this.
Iv been told milk should be her main food but she screams the place down the minute she sees the bottle. Health visitor hasn't a clue what to do.
Any advice would be appreciated. Xxxx

Also wanted to add that I'm abit cautious about her decrease in milk intake as this in result will affect her growth and development as preemie babies formula has special stuff in it. So wondering whether it will make her anaemic or cause other problems. Xxx

hey dippy, harry suddenly wouldnt take him milk, he too was doing about 200mls. He seemed hungry but jsut wouldnt take anything. We spoke to his doctor who told us if he didnt increase his intact within 24 hours, he would need to be admitted to have a ng tube. For the next 24 hours, we tried everything, syringing it in to his mouth, spooning it in, trying juice, water, even adding nesquick to his milk (that helped a little bit) his dietican said to keep trying and making sure we used looks of his milk on his food, we made sure he has 2 rusks aday having about 100mls in the way. His weight was going down but he stopped loking hungry it was so strange. We managed to hold off on the feeding but it got to the point they said, enough is enough, being him in tomorrow.

Low and be hoold, that night, every 3 hours that boy was up for a bottle, was doing 200mls every 3 hours for the next 4 days and now he is back to normal.

I think they go through difference fases, if she isnt looking hungry, i would try not to worry too much but just keep an eye on her, keeping an eye on her wee because if its really strong thats a sigh on dehydration.

Hope she wakes up in the morning and drinks you out of house and home xx

Oh I really hope that is the case with me except it's bin like this for abt 3 weeks. Fingers crossed she jus snaps out of it. I really dnt want the head ache of spoon feeding her milk as it becums a habit. Health professionals can't do anything so I'm praying she jus snaps out of it. It's such a shame as she drank really well.
I may have to start waking her regurlarly in the night to up the intake.
Thanks Hun.xxxx

Hey hun!
Have you started weaning yet?
Also it may be just a lil phase, Alex did the same ??? and omg we panicked!!!
Also your babies weight will slow down a lot now, it can come as a shock because we're used to the weight gain!

Oh Sandi I really hope it is jus a phase. I'm already stressed with dis pregnancy and cnt handle all these new issues.
I'll c how she goes in the next few days. Any idea on how long these phases last.

Hope ur ok and Gud to know bean is stayin put.
Stay positive I'm sure Ull b fine. X

No idea hun, just make sure its always there and keep an eye on nappies. If they start getting dry its time to get some more help xxxx

where going through the same thing now, except he has lost ALL interest in bf so im expresing now and he even fuses with the bottle, i think he is teething though im seeing all the signs could you lo be doing the same?

Hi there, my dd went through a stage similar that she just didnt want milk, she was always a bad bottle feeder anyway and threw up a lot. I was told "just a preemie thing" and in the early days it felt like our whole life revolved around getting milk into her. She is 13 months now and finally takes her bottle well!! Anyway our dietician said it can be teething too, even though no tooth actually cuts through, they are moving down in the gums and can stop and start for months. Now she always goes off her solids when a tooth is cutting and throws up too. I was so worried the first time but she eventually went back onto her solids. Its so difficult, I totallly feel your pain as weight gain is such an important issue. Keep an eye on it and as the other girls have said if you're worried or dry nappies take her to docs. Will she eat baby porridge, ready brek etc and that can soak up a lot of milk, cheese sauce too and yogurts?

Yeh she's on solids and I am using her milk in her food. Iv bin told she's teething almost 3 mnths ago- she started early. But iv bin told that that is uncomfortable but duznt make u reject the bottle completely.
Well good to know that uv all bin there maybe it is just a preemie thing. Well will let u know how she goes. Guna try the higher calorie solids and use milk in as many meals as poss. Thnx ladies xxx

Looking at your ticker your lo is 4 months corrected. My lo went through a real nosy stage at the age and it affected her feeding. I was bf and she would only feed a few mins then pulled away to look around. This went on for a few weeks then she started eating again.

Yeah I used to have to put the hair dryer on for dd to take bottle, mad! Then that stopped working, now she takes it really well if she is watching Dora, know its a bad habit but just glad she happy to take her milk and finishes it really quickly! You do anything!:shrug:

Yeah I used to have to put the hair dryer on for dd to take bottle, mad! Then that stopped working, now she takes it really well if she is watching Dora, know its a bad habit but just glad she happy to take her milk and finishes it really quickly! You do anything!:shrug:

I love this!

Honestly as preemie mums we sometimes need to break the rules to get anywhere! My dietician agreed and understood when I explained Alex gets her tea when Simpsons/hollyoaks is on, and her last milk while watching a favourite music video :rofl: if it helps them get the food into them, so be it. Sod 'bad habits' and making rods for your backs, it needs to be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->