applying for British Citizenship

maryp0ppins

Reaction score
Has anyone moved from ILR to becoming a British Citizen? I will be able to apply in November (at a cost of nearly £900!) and I was wondering how long the process took and if it was easy to do? from what ive seen online it looks easier than the ILR application.
Anyone?

I didn't realize there was much difference. When I did my ilr I was under the understanding that it was just filling out a form and getting a British passport. But I paid £1000 to do my ilr too.

no you need to send documents showing you have ILR and then 5 years of proof you have lived in the UK. Did a little more research today and it sounds straight forward. you also need to go to a citizenship ceremony before its final,once you get the papers you can apply for a passport. my ILR was nearly 1400 last november,cant decide if I am going to bite the bullet and become a citizen or not.....the price will only increase!

At that price, I think I'll give it a miss then. My ilr gives me everything that a citizenship does anyway, apart from the passport.

hmm i suppose it does. Im just worried we may move back to Canada in a few yrs and then what if we want to come back?? if you leave for more than 2 years you lose ilr and have to start over!

Oh I wasn't aware of that. We intend to move back to Canada in a few years time, not sure about coming back. I don't think we will. Our son will have dual citizenship anyway. I imagine, if DH agrees to move us back...there's no way in hell I'll come back here! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->