Aptamil- How to make

b4baby

Mommy to DD and DS
Reaction score
I have just been diagnosed with mastitis and my milk supply has plummeted so I am going to have to supplement some of my feeds with formula. I have brought aptamil as I have heard this is closest to breast milk.
But reading the box it seems like I have to make a bottle up fresh everytime I want to feed. This is okay to just add the powder everytime however can I do a couple of bottles of water and keep them in the fridge until I need them and then add the water. My DD goes from 0-HUNGRY in seconds and I haven't got time to faff about from the start.

Hi!! We're an Aptamil house. We make all our bottles with fresh sterilised water the night before and keep them in the fridge, then we just heat them and add the formula when we need them. A bottle will last 2 hours but no longer so I only ever make it in advance if I'm going out and I know that he'll need it within two hours, otherwise I take a bottle with the water in, heat it and add the formula I carry in a separate pot.

Hope that helps and hope your mastitis clears up soon xx

I personally boil water and let it cool in 2 flasks- then make it up as I need it (I think they advise to make it up hot then let it cool but my hv said what I'm doing is fine) :)

We've been around various formulas due to LO's reflux. Most of them you can make in advance (the guidelines say not to, but that's all they are, guidelines). The only time this can't really be done is with comfort milks or reflux milks - they're thicker and can separate etc, so best to do those ones fresh. However the normal infant milks will keep chilled just fine!

The regular aptamil you can make up as normal, then rapidly cool the bottles (under a tap or with ice water) and then stick them in the back of the fridge, as it's the coldest part. Just be sure they're all used within a 24 hour period and once they are warmed don't rechill.

I use aptamil and I make up a couple of bottles at a time following the institutions, cool them and put them in the fridge and make sure they are used within 24 hours. I've been doing this since he was 7 weeks old and he's never been sick.

i,ll probably get slated for this but with ds2-and started doing now with dd- i make 2 bottles at a time, dont rapid cool or put in fridge..just use bottle warmer to heat them wen needed. so much easier in middle of night and my kids have never been sick.
the reason i do it -with ds1 i was told by midwife to make up 24hours worth of bottles at a time, leave to cool to room temp dont refrigerate and serve either heated or at room temp..he was never sick either x

I just boil water in the kettle then put in a thermos and let it cool for 5 to 15 mins depending on how long I have! Then when I need to make up a feed I put in water from the thermos into the bottle , use my powder dispenser So I don't have to count scoops ( as I put my powder into dispensers at a time when I'm alone so I can count lol!) then shake it up and put the bottle in cold water in a bowl. Then I change my baby nappy and distract her till it cools! ( about 5 mins!)

I hate making up formula though , sometimes I use cartons ( well morning feeds definitely carton!) they cost about 69p per carton but I get mine from my FIL who orders them at a cheaper price due to him owning a shop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->