Archie's arrival by c-section (detailed account)

windswept

Reaction score
When I was told I was getting a section I was desperately looking for true accounts of what the procedure involves... So I decided I'd share my experience with you guys, should you want to read on!

Archie was born on 14 June at 12.24 pm - he weighed 6 lbs and 12 oz. We fell in love with him instantly and I never fail to amaze myself with how much my world has changed since he arrived. Nothing else matters, he is the most important little being in the world!

Monday 13 June 2011
2 pm Arrive at maternity – given bed – settled in.
Temperature, blood pressure and blood samples taken.
Baby monitored for over 30 minutes (very active).
Consultant visited – confirmed baby still breech, raised concern about fluid levels, taken for a scan, all well. But if it hadn’t been, we would have been sectioned there and then. Consent form signed. Discussed my large cysts and endometreosis.
Anaesthetist visited – explained dangers, procedure, etc.
Midwife did checks again, measured for stockings, and shaved my bikini line.
Given an acid reducing pill to stop heartburn.
Starved from midnight.
Was given a fan and slept with no covers (hospital far too hot for me) ! Did manage some sleep, between the 6 pee breaks!

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Early Up, showered, into tights and gown.
11 am Taken down to theatre in bed. Innes taken away. I was taken into anaesthetists room.
Monitors attached to my chest.
Canula inserted – both a drip and a patient controlled painkiller (morphine).
Was asked to sit up and bend over, arch my back.
Back scrubbed with a freezing exfoliant thing (really enjoyed this).
Local anaesthetic injection.
Started prodding and poking with spinal injection – first attempt very uncomfy, second attempt worse, by the third I was lying on the bed feeling very faint and begging for water. After fifth attempt my calf jerked and then a hot sensation washed down my legs.
Tested anaesthetic by spraying a cold solution in various areas of my back and legs – all numb!
Wheeled into theatre – Innes there!
Screen put up, too low for poor Innes!
Strapped to heart monitors and blood pressure constantly being taken.

Starts!
Given a gauze of water to suck on, as was dying of thirst!
Had to be told they’d made the first cut.
Had a good yarn with the people at my head (anaesthetist and her assistant, nurse, midwife, student and Innes).
12.24 pm Within five minutes, and with minimal prodding and pressure sensations my baby was delivered. Before we saw him, all we heard was ‘it’s a red head’! All I could see when they held him up was goulies and an umbilical cord!
Got skin to skin contact – as good as it could be, under my robe, up at my chin. Could see he wasn’t the name we had chosen for him!
Innes and baby taken to ward after 5 minutes.
Felt lots of pressure at times and could tell where they were working – they removed my womb to examine my ovaries (had large cysts in early pregnancy).
Stitched up in layers.
Screen removed.
Slid onto another bed, tubes taken off and wheeled into recovery.
Felt so great that I asked if I could bypass the hour in recovery in favour of going up to see my boys!

In ward I had a drip and patient controlled painkiller thingy coming from my left hand, my heart and blood pressure being monitored on my left arm. I had those stockings on, and a fancy machine pumping air through my legs all night (massaging, but very hot). I also had a catheter in.
The wound was covered by a big thick dressing as well as a smaller one. I also had maternity pads lose under my gown, which had to be changed by the midwives to begin with. In addition, there was heavy padding under me, adding to the heat!
All in all, very uncomfy, but I had my skin to skin contact and got a bottle of cold water!

I was sitting up eating tea and toast within an hour and would’ve had dinner if they let me. I also would have got up if it hadn’t been for the catheter.

First thing in the morning I made them remove the tubes and as soon as I was able I was walking about the ward. Pretty painful, but perfectly manageable. I was upright within minutes, the consultant was very impressed! Showered by 10 am.
Had a bad reaction to the dressing and had very sore and stingy blisters.

I was in hospital for 4 nights following my section. I felt ready to go by the 5th day!

Attachments

• Archie - 5 days old 2 email.JPG
    Archie - 5 days old 2 email.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Archie - 2 days old email.JPG
    Archie - 2 days old email.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 35
  • P1020238.jpg
    P1020238.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 53
Congrats hun, great story and Archie is adorable!!!!!

aw, he's very cute! Congratulations. Just out of curiosity, which name had you chosen from him? :)

Kyle! But with his red hair, we pictured a little ginger Archie running around the hills when he grows up! Archie wasn't even on the list of possibilities, it just came to us! Both Granny on OHs side and Grampa on my side expressed their dislike of the name instantly! They were the first 2 people we told, so we worried we'd done the wrong thing!

congratulations! he's gorgeous! x

Congratulations, he is gorgeous x

Congrats he is adorable!!! And thank you for your account of a c section. It sounds quite relaxed, lol. As someone who will be having a c section I am v.anxious and trying to avoid all the bad stuff!!!

xx

Hula - honestly, please do not worry about it. It's a medical procedure, so it has it's unpleasant parts, but on the whole my experience was really lovely and relaxed, with a very lovely outcome. If I were told my next baby had to be delivered by c-section I wouldn't have a glimmer of worry... Although I would like a natural birth next time (if there is a next time).

My account was open and honest, nothing hidden. For me the worst thing about the whole procedure is not being able to drive for 6 weeks! That might put it into perspective for you!

Enjoy your pregnancy, and don't worry! Cx

Congratulations, he's so handsome! x

Thanks for your honest account. I want to avoid a section but it really helps to know the facts "just incase". Archie is a fabulous name, congratulations, he is adoreable!xxx

Hey stina, only just come across this section:dohh:. Great detailed birth story Hun and Archie is just gorgeous! I hope you, bubba and mr w are all well and dandy. Pop in to us when you get a min to let us know how you're getting on, it'll be great to hear from you. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->