Are Any Of You Striking This Wednesday?

Lellow

Déjà poo ... Get it?
Reaction score
Hiya,

Im part of the UNISON at work and this wednesday is the scheduled strike against the increase in pensions thats been proposed.

I know morally i should partake, but i just cant help but think that that whole days pay could cover Aymens nursery for a whole week.

Im kind of torn really.

Anyone else feeling similar?

I hope you dont mind me posting this in here by the way.

:flow:

I am in NUT and I am striking. I have known about it for ages. It comes out of Decembers wages and I have budgeted accordingly. I'm gonna lose the days pay PLUS childminding fee but spend an extra day with Evan, get out Christmas tree and all that :)

Just like Anna I am NUT and striking, loosing a day's pay and the nursery fees as I will be making the most of the opportunity and having my boy at home with me.

My feeling is that as I am a fully paid up member of a union I will support the actions they suggest. After all, I will reap any benefits their actions result in! But each to their own Lellow, you do what you feel is right xxx

Im with UNISON- (I am a nurse). I only work flexi time at the weekends, but i fully support you!

The proposal is terrible.

My union rep has put my name forward for hardship though, I didn't ask but he knows my situation and suggested it at our meeting last night. Have no idea if it will be successful, but apparently as a single mum and only on MPS3 (3rd payscale) I have a good case. Whatever the outcome I made my decision ages ago anyway :)

My union rep has put my name forward for hardship though, I didn't ask but he knows my situation and suggested it at our meeting last night. Have no idea if it will be successful, but apparently as a single mum and only on MPS3 (3rd payscale) I have a good case. Whatever the outcome I made my decision ages ago anyway :)

Go for it!

Yes, I'll be striking. Even though I'm starting maternity leave at the beginning of January and could do with every penny to help, I agree with New Mrs W and I wouldn't feel at all comfortable going to work knowing that other people were forfeiting a day's pay to protest about something on my behalf. Yes, money is tight but if there's even a chance of preventing a 50% increase in pension contributions in six month's time then I think it's got to be done. Plus we do get a day off to spend with our LOs ;-)

If I was still working, no. I think its irresponsible when your in my sector (nhs direct patient care).

I'm striking.

The way I see it is I'd lose more in the long run if the changes were forced through. So a days pay I can cope with.

I work part time so I'm not at work on a Wednesday but if I were I would strike. The proposals are awful.

We may lose a days pay for striking but in April we will lose the equivalent of a days pay a month to the new pension scheme in order to work much longer and have a lot less pension. It's a scandal.

Yes I'm Unite and I'll be on strike. Not the greatest month for a reduced pay cheque but the pension changes are a big reduction for me.

I am on a career break but would have been on strike if at work and will go on the march on Wednesday. I believe firstly that if you are in a Union you should follow the wishes of the majority. If you don't believe in striking then you should join a non- striking union. Also the proposals will mean that I will lose around £100 a month in increased pension payments on top of what I already pay.

Yes lots of people are in a similar boat but just how bad are we going to let things get before we turn round and say enough is enough?

I am on a career break but would have been on strike if at work and will go on the march on Wednesday. I believe firstly that if you are in a Union you should follow the wishes of the majority. If you don't believe in striking then you should join a non- striking union. Also the proposals will mean that I will lose around £100 a month in increased pension payments on top of what I already pay.

Yes lots of people are in a similar boat but just how bad are we going to let things get before we turn round and say enough is enough?

Agreed.

I know it isnt the same but 9 years ago all the staff on the ward that i worked on threatened to go on strike if one on of the Sisters was made redundant (as proposed). She was fantastic and we were short staffed as it was.

It worked. You could say it was negligent but it was also negligent to leave us with another very important member of staff down.

Dont love your employers as they dont love you! You have to do what is right for you.

I work in the private sector, but I was wondering if someone could explain to me the pension proposal etc? I know that personally I pay in 3% of my wages each month to my works pension scheme. How is it different in the public sector?

I work in the private sector, but I was wondering if someone could explain to me the pension proposal etc? I know that personally I pay in 3% of my wages each month to my works pension scheme. How is it different in the public sector?

I currently pay 6.4% of my salary into the teachers' pension scheme. The proposed increase will mean that I would have to go from paying around £2300 a year to around £3400 a year.

I run my own company but i cant expect the mums i employ to bring their kids in for the day because teachers want to strike, i think its irresponsible! If private sector workers did this they would be without a job

Like Indy and Lara I also currently pay 6.4% and this will increase to 9% if the proposals go through. In addition, they are proposing increasing the pensionable age and significantly reducing the amount of money paid out at the end (I mean 10s of thousands here).

I'm not in favour of strikes generally but enough is enough. My union (NAHT) has voted to strike for the first time. It's a bad time of year to strike money wise but I'll support my union. In the long term, if this makes a difference, what I lose next month will be repaid tenfold.

I run my own company but i cant expect the mums i employ to bring their kids in for the day because teachers want to strike, i think its irresponsible! If private sector workers did this they would be without a job

If a private sector worker was a member of a union and went on a legally organised strike they would have exactly the same rights as public sector workers. Anyone who lost their job as a result of a legal strike could sue for unfair dismissal so being public or private sector is irrelevant.

I'm on a carear break at the moment and I have no idea what I would of done had I been working.
I was part of the union for various reasons but I've never really liked striking (in theory you could say you are breaking your contract by striking). I only had the choice of one union otherwise I would of chosen a non striking one.

It is a hard one-tbh we get alot in the way of pension etc and it is a shock when they try to make changes.

I will however be making the most of an extra day with my son who's getting the day off school. Yay yay yay!!!!!

If a private sector worker was a member of a union and went on a legally organised strike they would have exactly the same rights as public sector workers. Anyone who lost their job as a result of a legal strike could sue for unfair dismissal so being public or private sector is irrelevant.

Private sector doesn't work like that

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"