Are Hypnobirthing books/CDs effective?

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently planning my home water birth and feel that learning some relaxation techniques will help my DH and I loads!

I have looked into local classes and on average they cost £250 - £300. With finances being a bit tight, I am wondering if we can read the book, listen to the CD and maybe teach ourselves? Obviously we may not learn as much as in a class but I dont think I can justify the cost with so many other things to buy.

I would love to hear form anyone who has used books or CDs alone without professional classes.

yoohoo! You found us then LOL?!

I used natal hypnotherapy CD's - they have aVBAC specific one so thats why i chose it (couldnt afford a hypno course like I really wanted).

Now I cant say I hynpo birthed but the relaxation exercises were good, I stayed calm and breathed well, I was in labour land throughout, calm collected and not in pain at all (until he crowned LOL).

I did the course and it's pretty much what's in the book. I loved the course because it was practical for dh, good bonding and also see how to use technoques properly. However!!!! It was a nice to have and you could just follow the book and find it effective I'm sure :)

ive just finished the book and am about to hand it over to OH for reading. i have some savings so could do classes but OH doesnt want to spend out that amount of money incase i dont get to use my new skills on the day - theres a small chance i will need a c section on the day due to an underlying condition. i see where hes coming from. moneys still tight for us.

the book alone has given me a more relaxed and positive view to birthing and im nowhere ready to birth just yet however i do have alot of questions id like to ask an instructor and without doing the course i dont think is necessarily going to get answered. hence me being on the natural birth forum here looking for answers lol

id give the book a whirl first and see how u go.

I took the book because I spent so much on the pool :lol: I LOVED it and I had a wonderful birth using it. Having said that however if it wasnt my second I don't know if it would have worked as well? Like I knew I hated being touched in labour so I only used the techniques that were on my own.
On the whole if you cannot do the classes I would REALLY recommend the books! However if you can then I think I would sway and do them?

I used Marie Mongan's book and CD ("Hyponobirthing") and I definitely think it helped. I can't say if its as effective as the classes because I didnt take them, but for early labour I found the relaxation techniques I had been practicing from the book, were awesome! And yes I had a home birth :) and that was my first

Good luck!

I used Marie Mongan's book and CD ("Hyponobirthing") and I definitely think it helped. I can't say if its as effective as the classes because I didnt take them, but for early labour I found the relaxation techniques I had been practicing from the book, were awesome! And yes I had a home birth :) and that was my first

Good luck!

Thanks! Its reassuring to hear you had a successful HB with your first using the hypnobirthing book. We havnt been able to dedicate as much time to practise as we should have done but I still feel pretty confident that when the time comes Ill be able to cope a bit better knowing some of the techniques :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->