Are my babies eating often enough?

lanet

pregnant after lttc
Reaction score
My babies were in the nicu for 5 and 10 days. Upon discharge we were told to let them go up to 4 hours between feedings before waking. I breastfeed and also supplement with breast milk in a bottle. They eat about 3oz each feeding but always go 3-4 hours, at night theyve even gone 4 1-2. It seems that everyone else breastfeeds every 2. Does anyone else's baby go 4 hours? Is this ok?

When DS got out of the NICU, they said every 3 hours. I got the OK from his doctor to go up to 5 hours at night shortly after he came home. That is when I fed him until he hit 7lbs, then I quit scheduling feeds. He was probably taking less than 3oz though per feed, so yours just may not be hungry until 4 hours. Are they having wet/dirty diapers?

They pretty much have a constant wet and dirty diaper and were back to their birth weight last week at 2 weeks old. They weighed 6.8
I assume they would let me know if they were hungry now that they are almost 3 weeks old.

They pretty much have a constant wet and dirty diaper and were back to their birth weight last week at 2 weeks old. They weighed 6.8
I assume they would let me know if they were hungry now that they are almost 3 weeks old.

They will. Sounds like they are doing great! Don't worry about comparing what you do to what other people do, your babies are growing and making plenty of wet and dirty diapers. :D

The two hour thing is to help get babies back to birth weight and establish supply. You've had a different journey with NICU and babies are up to birth weight so I wouldn't worry!

My lo is 2months and she had a spell at about 2-4 weeks where she went nearly 5 hours between feedings in the evening/night and 2-4 hours during the day (I nurse on demand and didn't wake her unless it had been more than 5 hours) dr said it was ok as long as she was growing and had the recommended wet/dirty diapers.
She had lost over a pound before she was released to come home and regained that pound +some by her two week appointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->