Are second time births always faster?

SarahBear

Reaction score
So if you have two natural and uncomplicated births, is the second one always faster? OK, I suppose there would always be an exception, so for the vast majority is this true? My first birth (two and a half weeks ago) was after a 3 hour easy labor. When I have my second kid, I'll be living in an area where I'd have to go to the next town over to get to the hospital and I can find no information online about homebirth options in the area. It seems that there are no homebirth midwives in the area. Besides thinking that getting to a hospital during labor sound awful, I'm concerned about how fast my next baby would come. And yes I'm already thinking about baby number 2 when baby number 1 is only a newborn.

It certainly was true for me. Once in established labour with my first he was out in just over 2 hours.

My second was 1 hour 40 mins from first contraction to birth.

Getting in the car with such a quick labour is a bad idea. Not only is it really uncomfortable but you never know if you'll give birth on the way. From the moment I sat in the car I knew it was a big mistake and went back into the house.

No it's not always true. It depends on postion of the baby, relaxation of the mom, etc. My second birth was only faster by 2 hours, which was still a 25 hour birth. I've had clients have much longer second+ births and much shorter second+ births. You just never really know.

It certainly was true for me. Once in established labour with my first he was out in just over 2 hours.

My second was 1 hour 40 mins from first contraction to birth.

Getting in the car with such a quick labour is a bad idea. Not only is it really uncomfortable but you never know if you'll give birth on the way. From the moment I sat in the car I knew it was a big mistake and went back into the house.

So did you have an at-home unassisted birth?

My 4 births were all exactly the same - 3 days or pre/early labour, 10-15 minutes second stage, 10-15 minutes third stage

Mine was much faster but was still 12 hours.

I've also done a hospital transfer (from my home birth, during the pushing stage) and yeah, it wasn't very fun at all but was taken right into the room without any bureaucratic crap (ambulance transfer).

Since your first birth was so fast, I think it would be wise to consider knowledge/training in case of an unassisted birth, it seems like it could very well happen to you, planned or not. If you feel the need to call 911/999 too, that's fine as well. I worked as a 911 operator for many years, if labor is progressing extremely fast and you feel like you need urgent medical assistance then it is ok. Taxi no, but extremely fast birth, yes.

Mine was tonnes faster! From 32 hours first time to 7 hours this time. Hoping it continues for number 3 lol

I think mine was sort of like yours, really unusually fast first birth? When we were pregnant with Rosalie we kept getting worried midwives telling us what to do if no midwife made it out to us. Apparently they can take up to an hour? Anyway long story short after all the drama made of it, Rosalie ended up being days from first contraction. I was 2 weeks overdue and she wasnt engaged at all she was totally 'free' she was also back to back... So I think it depends on position of the baby like 'naturalmomma' said. The second and third stage were rediculously fast but getting to that point was very long.

I really worried about it as tabs labour was quite scary for me, I didn't expect it to happen so fast and neither did any of the hospital staff and they freaked me out with their running around. So I was quite concerned (but not scared) that it would be like that a second time... I think they jinxed me ;)

My first was 3 hours from my first contraction to out and done. My second started with my water breaking so was much more of a slow build. She was six hours from pop to finish. My third was the fastest at an hour and a half. I'm thankful I was able to stay home but I could have gotten somewhere if I needed to.

The biggest difference which seems pretty consistent is that you don't have as long a pushing stage as with the first. Once you've had one the rest slide out.

Mine was halved. 9hrs from waters breaking to her here with first and 4.5hours from waters breaking to him here for the second x

I'll keep my eyes on this thread, I had 37 hours of contractions last time, was a great labour and went very well but would like it to be a bit quicker next time! Wasn't very hungry or thirsty during and didn't sleep so felt terrible afterwards :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->