are sweeps done in the US?

emeeorevan

Expecting Miracle #3
Reaction score
What the title says. I've never heard of anyone having a sweep here. I was induced last time by doc manually breaking my waters and then given a little pitocin to speed things along. Does That mean I was too dilated for a sweep last time? Gonna have a cervical check Tuesday and revisit the idea of induction. Would he offer a sweep first ?

I've never heard of the sweep here either. Still nothin? :-( sry mama!!

I got one at forty weeks :)

Didn't do anything though.

I'm pretty sure breaking waters isn't recommended in the UK guidelines (unless already in active labour). Sweeps are offered routinely. Funny how things differ.

I'm pretty sure breaking waters isn't recommended in the UK guidelines (unless already in active labour). Sweeps are offered routinely. Funny how things differ.

I went in to be induced due to baby size and was already in labor so he broke my waters to speed things along but it didn't work too well. :(

unfortunately I'm still here. :(
having horrible bh and false labor pains all night every night. Can't Sleep. Baby is now moving all through the pains so much that some times I can't tell the difference between pains of baby moving and contractions as my belly is always hard and lower back is always hurting.

Unless baby is like 12lb or something your body should birth baby fine :D women have been having big babies for all of time OK. Sweeps aren't all that effective tbh and not recommended before 40 weeks. Apparently they only work if you're close to labour, so seems kind of pointless (to me). I'm trying to decide whether to have one next week (I've declined so far...). If baby is coming then it is gonna come with it without it if you see what I mean. Appointment tomorrow so will decide tonight!!

You could always ask doc for a sweep but wouldn't bother before 40 weeks and only if cervix is looking favourable anyway. It's unlikely to work.

I'm in the US and had one, it worked for me. They did call it something else, and it was something I had to ask for, they didn't volunteer it. I had to describe what I was talking about, they called it loosening the membranes or something.

I'm in the US and had one, it worked for me. They did call it something else, and it was something I had to ask for, they didn't volunteer it. I had to describe what I was talking about, they called it loosening the membranes or something.

Stripping the membranes?

I know they do sweeps here but my dr has yet to offer to do one. I figure ill play by ear, Im already positive ill go over edd since its three days away, lol. Things like that usually dont wont until your close to active labor.

If you were already in labor then there would be no point to do a sweep. Its only to help thin the cervix to go from early labor to active labor.

Thanks ladies. I guess a sweep is pointless. Baby is ready when she's ready. Its just sooo frustrating! I know I'm being selfish. I know I should wait (and I probably will) just weighing my options. I'm pretty sure I'm close to fully effaced and at least 2cm dilated but that could stay that way for a while. :(
this is #3 and the most Prego I've ever been! My body naturally went into labor @or before 38 weeks (although #2 had to be aided with pitocin after water was broken)
I only have 20 work days to take off with pay and can't afford to take off without pay i have requested materinity leave to start on jan 5, so I was selfishly hoping she'd be here before Jan 5 so that I'd have more time off with her.
I want her here but I'm already stressing about leaving her! As it is, if she were born now id have to go back to work when she is not quite 6weeks old!

I had a sweep done last pregnancy, I live in MI.... I had it done at 38.5 wks, while dilated 2.... Didn't do anything but make me spot and cramps...... Had it done again at 39.5 and had contractions the following day.... Labor followed ! U can't be pregnant too much longer if they broke ur waters already right? I never knew they could break ur waters and send u home to see what happens .... That's nuts !! Baby comes when baby is ready.... Unfortunately :/ hopefully u can get some tricks going and baby cooperates!! Good luck!!'

Stripping the membranes?

I know they do sweeps here but my dr has yet to offer to do one. I figure ill play by ear, Im already positive ill go over edd since its three days away, lol. Things like that usually dont wont until your close to active labor.

If you were already in labor then there would be no point to do a sweep. Its only to help thin the cervix to go from early labor to active labor.

No, it was similar but a term I hadn't heard before. I was 2 cm dilated and 80% effaced (if my memory is accurate) so you're probably right, I probably would have gone around the same time with or without the sweep!

With DS1, I wasn't offered a sweep, and didn't know anything about it. I was induced at 41 weeks, already 4 cm dilated, and once she broke my waters, I started feeling the contractions I was already having. They did give me pitocin.

This time around, I saw the other doctor that works in the office at 38w6d, and he gave me a sweep without my knowledge. He did an internal check, I was 3cm, but was very rough. It wasn't until I went into labor the next morning, and talking with the nurses at the hospital when I finally went in, and also talking with my regular doctor at 6wk pp visit, that we realized he did a sweep. It was in our best interest and in the interest of DS2 that it happen, so I'm not too upset about it. I just wish he had told me he was doing it.

Stripping the membranes.
I had it done too with a couple of my babies. Never did anything for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->