Are the 100% organic, sugar/salt/preservative free jars as good as homemade?

Sarah+

Reaction score
Are the 100% organic, sugar/salt/preservative free jars as good as homemade?

I know they can't be equal to fresh home made, but does anyone know how close they come, nutritionally, to homemade stuff out of the freezer etc.? I'm talking about the jars of carrots, peach etc. not the meat dishes.

I know they're more expensive but they are so convenient! Would love to hear any info/opinions you have!

Izzy has the Hipp Organic (and sometimes Boots Organic) pots (she was having home cooked food, but I have been poorly and not cooked her meals for few weeks)

I can't see how it can be much different, I have looked on the ingredients (of the full meals like cottage pie etc) and they contain pretty much what I would put in.
I never used the single ones like carrot, not even sure that Hipp do plain veggy ones, they always seem to be mixes like Parsnip, Potato & Cauliflower...but for example the ingredients of that is Organic vegetables (73%) [parsnips (48%), potatoes (14%), cauliflower (11%)], organic skimmed milk, organic cream (4%), water. ...so absolutely nothing in there that I wouldn't add if I were making it!

I certainly do not feel bad using pots when they are as good as this!

I use the Hipp ones for dinner times and as posted above there are no nasties added in there that I can see.They look and smell like they are supposed to too!!,when my daughter was little they were all pretty much orange and tasted of nothing!,used to make all hers even for nursery but I am happy to use the hipp ones and Ellas Kitchen now.x

I use the Hipp ones for dinner times and as posted above there are no nasties added in there that I can see.They look and smell like they are supposed to too!!,when my daughter was little they were all pretty much orange and tasted of nothing!,used to make all hers even for nursery but I am happy to use the hipp ones and Ellas Kitchen now.x

When I first started using pots I had some free ones via Bounty, C&G and another brand...OMG she turned her nose up at them, they smelt fake..and when I tested it - it was awful, didn't taste like what it should at all, very artificial!
The Hipp ones taste exactly like I would expect.

I did a project on this at school and yep basically nutritionally they are pretty much the same. The advantages are that they are quicker but the disadvantage is that they are more expensive

Thanks Ladies! :) Feeling guilt-free now, lol. I'm not sure if we have Hipp brand here but will look into it. :happydance:

I use organic corn and peas - things that would take forever to strain if I was doing it myself. They look and taste the same to me, and the ingredients list doesn't have anything strange in there.

:)
A

I occasionally spread some Ella's Kitchen banana puree onto Ruby's toast because I have a huge aversion to bananas and can't prepare them myself! I think if I did purees I would probably give the odd Ella's kitchen if I'd had a busy day. They're nutritionally fine but lack the natural variations in flavour you get from fresh fruit/veg as each jar/pouch has to be completely identical.

The Ella's Kitchen and Plum brands are great - I noticed with Hipp that although it is all organic, they often add sugar (albeit organic sugar!) so check the label.

The Ella's Kitchen and Plum brands are great - I noticed with Hipp that although it is all organic, they often add sugar (albeit organic sugar!) so check the label.

That's sneaky of them! Thanks for the tip :)

I don't think it's that expensive, in Asda and Tesco they do something like 10 jars for 4 pounds. The stage 2 jars my LO only has half of a jar anyway so the rest goes in the fridge for the next day, really convenient and she loves them.

We have been using the Ellas Kitchen and Plum ones when I haven't had time to make it myself, or when we go out. Theres nothing nasty in them at all, and Holly absolutely wolfs them down! (Although she prefers the stage 2 lumpy ones, just because thats how I make mine for her.)

i recommend the boots own organic ones aswell as hip, i get some puddings for eden because although we do mostly BLW sometimes she just likes to be fed! (lazy lil miss) and i spread them on toast/rice cakes. They are lovely and its usually one spoon for eden one spoon for mummy :lol: banana and rice pudding is my fave :)

I gather pudding is just (what we'd call) a dessert? I was looking at these the other day in the shop and wondering if it was ok to give a baby sweets!?

Hi hun, I was feeling a little guilty about giving aaliyah jars, i was using the hipp ones only draw back is that they can stain clothes, had 2 scrub loads of aaliyahs clothes, Im making her dinners now but i wont mind using jars now and again :kiss:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->