Are these girl names too wierd? Pretty enough?

coleymc

Reaction score
I have been in love with the name Hazel but my husband hates it, he pretty much said that if I insisted then he would go with it, but that he really doesn't think its very pretty. To my surprise, he really likes Freyja, which is very uncommon here in the US. We both think it's pretty and it goes well with our son's name, Lochlan, both with Nordic ties. I like that it's uncommon, but I worry that since it is SO uncommon, that people might think it's weird or even made up. What are thoughts on either name, as far as being pretty or feminine, too out there?

I absolutely love Hazel! Far from weird, a very old, traditional name here in the uk. Freyja is nice enough too but for me it'd be Hazel x

I think if you spelled it Freya it would be more likely to be pronounced correctly, if you're worried about that.

I love Freya and have heard of a few (I'm in the UK).

Hazel is quite an old fashioned name to me but it's still 'pretty' and makes me think of nature

In Scotland Freya sp is fairly common x

I think they're both fine. The spelling of Freyja might throw people off of how it's actually pronounced, but it's a pretty name just like Hazel :)

I'm not a fan of Hazel but it's a 'normal' name to me, not weird at all. Freya is popular where I live (a place with strong Nordic ties) but it's not weird, I absolutely love the name. :)

I would probably go with Hazel, myself, but that's because it's a bit more common and easier. I think it's a nice almost traditional name.

Freyja is very pretty, but I agree that if you decide to go with it, I would probably spell it Freya, otherwise no one will know how to pronounce it correctly.

I like both names but slightly prefer Hazel. I agree that I would definitely spell it Freya if you're already worried about pronounciation. We considered it when I was pregnant with my LO and I found that people even struggled with how to pronounce Freya with the simplified spelling.

I love Freya, I think it's a strong, beautiful, feminine name. I agree with everyone else that it should be spelled Freya if that's the name you go with. J might be the "traditional" spelling but it's not part of our language so that's something to consider. I'm someone who doesn't care for unique spellings at all but to me this is not the same thing.

I can't comment fairly comment on Hazel. My name is 100% nothing like this name, doesn't start with the the same letter or rhyme, but over the years I've lost track of how many times people have thought for some strange reason that my name is Hazel or even worse, Pazel. Very annoying, this name totally annoys me. That being said, if your husband has veto power and said he'd go along with it, go with the name you love. You're the one carrying and know which fits.

I much prefer Freya, to me Hazel is a dogs name like Bingo but that's only because I've known so many people call their dogs Hazel.

I like both, neither are weird or uncommon here in the UK.

I personally prefer Hazel, but would spell Freya this way if I were to use it.
Hazel is just gorgeous.

I have a Freya and it is uncommon in Australia, but not weird, and people know how to pronounce it :)

I'm from Scotland and know of both Hazel's and Freya's. They aren't very common (I know a small handful of both) but no one has ever thought them weird names and, imo, both are pretty although like a pp I would spell it 'Freya' not 'Freyja' :flower:

I love the name Freya/Freyja/Freja. If this little one had been a girl then it would have been a real contender. I'm surprised by the number of people who would struggle on how to pronounce the traditional spelling. It seems pretty obvious to me! We actually used Greek/roman/Norse goddesses for our table names at our wedding and Freyja was one of them. No one had a problem knowing that it was the same as Freya!

I'm in the US too, Freya was our choice for our last pregnancy if we'd had a girl..not common where I am either, but the name is beautiful in all spellings. Now my cousin has gone and named her dog Freya so we're probably not going to pick it this time around, but the name is beautiful and goes very well with your son's name : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->