Are you still doing your same exercise regime?

BrandyBestPal

Reaction score
I am conflicted on what I should be doing...
My last pregnancy, I felt 100% - throughout the entire thing. Maybe some backache, bloating, and tiredness. But nothing too serious. I ran until I was 11 wk. Then I took it easy as the summer got really hot.

Now, I am about 6wk... again, I feel 100% fine. Not even convinced that I have a sticky bean yet.
I still run about 5 days a week... varying distances and intensities. I also lift weights 2 -3 times a week.

I know exercise is important... but how do I know if I am doing too much?

I haven't increase my workout program, it has stayed the same. So it should be good, right?
I should add, I would go totally bonkers if I had to quit running. It is a total mood enhancer for me!

You're fine continuing the same exercise regimen as when you feel pregnant with a few limitations.

- dangerous stuff isn't recommended (eg anything where you could fall, such as horse riding, or crazy endurance stuff)
- keep well hydrated and don't overheat
- be careful when weightlifting (there's a theoretical risk of the hormone relaxin, which increases in pregnancy, causing you to strain something more easily - so just be mindful of that)
- don't lie on your back after second tri (could compress an important blood vessel)
- listen to your body. If your body's happy running still, then go for it. Don't force yourself to run based on a pre-determined schedule though (as you might have done pre-pg): be sure to check in with your body daily and do what feels good that day.
- if you're already fit (as you are) then I wouldn't try to improve on your fitness levels: don't increase mileage or speed. Putting additional stress on your body isn't good.

You'll know if you're doing too much since you'll feel utterly exhausted by it. There are also other warning signs:https://www.babycenter.com/0_ten-signs-of-danger-during-pregnancy-exercise_7818.bc

I tried to exercise the other day and got cramps all across my back, just like period pains. So I stopped: it was my body telling me to rest rather than workout.

Before I got pg I was exercising 5-6 times a week and hard. Hour long boot camp-style sessions. Loved it - was in the shape of my life. Since getting pg I struggle to do 20mins on the elliptical and it's so frustrating. But I know from experience that I'll get my energy back come second tri and so can exercise again then (I exercised up to and including the days I went into labour with my other two). I'm really looking forward to it.

In addition to everything britgirl82 said, I also read somewhere that you should keep your heartrate below 140bpm. However, I don't think the evidence is very strong that anything above 140 would be harmful.

I've had to switch my exercise routine because my previous routine involved stuff that wasn't very preggo friendly. Now I just do Zumba and Yoga 3x per week. I couldn't imagine going 9 months without exercising. I would be so depressed, and I would probably gain 100 pounds. Lol

Running should be fine. Lots of women run every day while they're pregnant. However, when you visit the doctor, you should ask her as well. Some women are advised not to exercise due to certain pregnancy complications. But more than likely, it should be fine.

Your body will tell you when to slow down! I have been doing everything I did before, I even train at 170 bpm sometimes, depending on what cardio I do. Bodies are made to be active, being pregnant is no exception.

Your body will tell you when to slow down! I have been doing everything I did before, I even train at 170 bpm sometimes, depending on what cardio I do. Bodies are made to be active, being pregnant is no exception.

I'm glad I am not the only one with increased heart rate. Today's heartrate was in that range, which prompted this post.
I don't train like that all the time, but someones I like to challenge myself.
I had heard that you had to keep your heartrate low... and really, for me that would be a brisk walk, not a jog. I was just confused! There is too much information out there sometimes!

You're fine continuing the same exercise regimen as when you feel pregnant with a few limitations.

- dangerous stuff isn't recommended (eg anything where you could fall, such as horse riding, or crazy endurance stuff)
- keep well hydrated and don't overheat
- be careful when weightlifting (there's a theoretical risk of the hormone relaxin, which increases in pregnancy, causing you to strain something more easily - so just be mindful of that)
- don't lie on your back after second tri (could compress an important blood vessel)
- listen to your body. If your body's happy running still, then go for it. Don't force yourself to run based on a pre-determined schedule though (as you might have done pre-pg): be sure to check in with your body daily and do what feels good that day.
- if you're already fit (as you are) then I wouldn't try to improve on your fitness levels: don't increase mileage or speed. Putting additional stress on your body isn't good.

You'll know if you're doing too much since you'll feel utterly exhausted by it. There are also other warning signs:https://www.babycenter.com/0_ten-signs-of-danger-during-pregnancy-exercise_7818.bc

I tried to exercise the other day and got cramps all across my back, just like period pains. So I stopped: it was my body telling me to rest rather than workout.

Before I got pg I was exercising 5-6 times a week and hard. Hour long boot camp-style sessions. Loved it - was in the shape of my life. Since getting pg I struggle to do 20mins on the elliptical and it's so frustrating. But I know from experience that I'll get my energy back come second tri and so can exercise again then (I exercised up to and including the days I went into labour with my other two). I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks for the input and the article. It's good to have a reference for things to watch out for.

I remember being frustrated my last pregnancy, too, when I had to cut back dramatically. We had such a hot summer that it was too much to run outdoors. But I always found time for a walk at the very least.

In addition to everything britgirl82 said, I also read somewhere that you should keep your heartrate below 140bpm. However, I don't think the evidence is very strong that anything above 140 would be harmful.

I've had to switch my exercise routine because my previous routine involved stuff that wasn't very preggo friendly. Now I just do Zumba and Yoga 3x per week. I couldn't imagine going 9 months without exercising. I would be so depressed, and I would probably gain 100 pounds. Lol

Running should be fine. Lots of women run every day while they're pregnant. However, when you visit the doctor, you should ask her as well. Some women are advised not to exercise due to certain pregnancy complications. But more than likely, it should be fine.

I keep meaning to ask my doctor... he is an avid runner and has participated in many marathons - it's unfortunate, though, every time I see him, it is like he is in a hurry that I never remember to ask my questions. I need to write it down and set an alarm on my phone to prompt me to ask! Would be great for his input!

I'm glad I am not the only one with increased heart rate. Today's heartrate was in that range, which prompted this post.
I had heard that you had to keep your heartrate low... and really, for me that would be a brisk walk, not a jog. I was just confused! There is too much information out there sometimes!

BPM isn't a reliable measurement of exertion since it varies so much from day to day and from person to person. When I first starting my research months ago I was like "140 bpm? Seriously?". I then found information stating that it's better to just check in with yourself during every workout and make sure that you are only doing around 70% of what you COULD do if you were pushing yourself.

It's such a pet peeve of mine that so many women are told to take it easy when they have no real reason to. Pregnant animals don't get to stop running for their lives, or, in the case of horses - we ride them till the day they give birth!

I'm a strong believer that your body will not let you do anything that will hurt you or your pregnancy. The benefits of working out (and working out hard!) far out way any possible negative effects. Just stay hydrated, rest if you feel like it, and make sure to warm up and cool down and you will be just fine.

BPM isn't a reliable measurement of exertion since it varies so much from day to day and from person to person. When I first starting my research months ago I was like "140 bpm? Seriously?". I then found information stating that it's better to just check in with yourself during every workout and make sure that you are only doing around 70% of what you COULD do if you were pushing yourself.

It's such a pet peeve of mine that so many women are told to take it easy when they have no real reason to. Pregnant animals don't get to stop running for their lives, or, in the case of horses - we ride them till the day they give birth!

I'm a strong believer that your body will not let you do anything that will hurt you or your pregnancy. The benefits of working out (and working out hard!) far out way any possible negative effects. Just stay hydrated, rest if you feel like it, and make sure to warm up and cool down and you will be just fine.

Yeah, 140bpm seems so bogus to me. :winkwink: I must admit, though, when my heartrate reached 172bpm, I was running a 5km race, with a jogging stroller. That is NOT my typical exercise routine. And I signed up for the race before I knew I was pregnant. I won't be necessarily running race pace for the rest of my pregnancy, but I like to do 8-10km with the jogging stroller, which takes some effort.
I really identify with your opinion on this. You are absolutely right about pregnant animals in the wind (or even our horses), they still exert themselves, too! So why shouldn't we? Afterall, exercise is supposed to help with labour and delivery and produce a healthy baby!
Thanks for this. You've really reassured me and my choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->