Argh!! Being messed around, need to know where I stand

kittenmama

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had my heart set on a home birth for months, my first son was born at 36+3 so I had to be consultant led.

This time around everything was going smoothly until a growth scan at 34 weeks showed this ones abdomen to be off the charts.

I put myself on semi bed rest to get to 37 weeks for my second growth scan and to get to full term.

After the second scan on Wednesday I was told by my registrar that there are no problems and a home birth would be fine.

I organised for a HB assessment to happen yesterday but the MW called at the last minute saying they're too booked up and would do it today. I've just got a call saying they're too busy again so they'll come tomorrow.

I asked what would happen if I went into labour before they came around as I've been having twinges and back pain all night and she laughed and said that until they enter my details onto the computer on Monday I would have to go into hospital to give birth.

Grrrrr I'm so mad! I asked if the hospital would send someone out if I wasn't entered onto the computer and she said no, I'd just need to keep my legs crossed until Monday if I wanted to stay at home!

Seeing as my notes from the registrar say I'm suitable for home birth, if anything did happen over the weekend could I stay at home and demand someone be sent out to me. I feel like I've come so far just to have another hurdle put in the way!

Sorry for the essay but they've really pee'd me off! I just need to know if I can stand my ground on this one.

Thanks for reading!!

If you phone and say you are having a home birth, they have to send you a midwife, regardless of whether you have had a home visit or not. Write a letter to the head of midwifery, state your home birth intentions and tell them you will not be going in to hospital. They will soon sit up and take notice!

Thank you! My community midwife is coming tomorrow to do the assessment and she's lovely, my only concern is if these niggles and tightenings don't stop and I end up going into full labour tonight and they refuse to send anyone out. I would only ring the hospital when I was in established labour and not if I was having a few pains but I've read conflicting info on if they actually do have a duty of care to send someone out.

I suppose I could always say that it came on too suddenly to notify them earlier or get everything sorted to get to the hospital :-/

They are talking nonsense!:dohh: Technically you don't even have to mention your intention to birth at home and you can call and tell them when you are in labour. Obviously for practical reasons its not something I would advise but it shows that you aren't being given the correct information.:dohh:

They do indeed have a duty of care - you just have to be quite forceful if they are saying no. But I think you will be safe enough :hugs:

Thank you ladies! I have everything prepared here at home so all I really need them for is the G&A lol!

I just had a horrible consultant led experience last time and was treated terribly on the ward - being told I wasn't in labour and to stay in my bed as i just had some niggles when I was 6cm dilated, having to labour on my back etc.

I just feel so much more comfortable being at home and not leaving my son behind. I just didn't realise how many hoops I'd have to jump through just to have a baby at home!

With the midwives saying that unless I was on their 'computer', which is only updated on a Monday, the hospital wouldn't send anyone out, it knocked me back a bit as my CMW has requested I have the baby on Sunday night as she's on call and wants to be with me instead of at the hospital :-/

Don't worry about it - they can't refuse you a home birth because the 'computer says no'

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->