Arnold Chiari Malformation

tuttibella

Reaction score
Did anyone see the Midwives on BBC 1 last week? There was a lady that had Arnold Chiari malformation, and was advised she couldn’t have an epidural and was allowed to push for only 30 mins. I have Arnold Chiari I, which fortunately is asymptomatic at the moment. While pregnant with DS1 I asked my midwife if it was something to consider regarding the birth. She seemed quite dismissive and told me not to worry with no restrictions. Long story short, I avoided an epidural but certainly pushed for more than 30 mins. I’m now 31 weeks pregnant and have a new midwife, who I’ll be asking about this. I’m just wondering what advice those ladies with Arnold Chiari have been given?

x x

I would be interested to hear what your MW says. My sister has the same malformation.

Did anyone see the Midwives on BBC 1 last week? There was a lady that had Arnold Chiari malformation, and was advised she couldn’t have an epidural and was allowed to push for only 30 mins. I have Arnold Chiari I, which fortunately is asymptomatic at the moment. While pregnant with DS1 I asked my midwife if it was something to consider regarding the birth. She seemed quite dismissive and told me not to worry with no restrictions. Long story short, I avoided an epidural but certainly pushed for more than 30 mins. I’m now 31 weeks pregnant and have a new midwife, who I’ll be asking about this. I’m just wondering what advice those ladies with Arnold Chiari have been given?

x x

hi there,
I was just wondering how things went for you with the birth of the little one?
I really hope it went as well as possible.
I also wondered if you could share some of the info you got from your new midwife, I have a chiari 1 and had only been 2 weeks out of hospital from my decompression surgery when I found out I was expecting . Im keen to try a natural birth as the complications from epidurals and the idea of a general anaesthetic petrifies me. ive spent the last 2 months looking up about pregnancy and the condition but it all seems so contradictory.
any help would be very much appreciated
pink xx

Prepare for a long reply :wacko: After seeing the consultant my options were limited to patient controlled analgesia during labour and ga if c-section was required. The pushing stage was limited to 30 mins. The advice was that the chance of complications happening with epidural were small but the consequences were too significant to risk it. I was terrified after that meeting, and wished that I never asked the midwife the question. Again, I should say I was asymptotic.

As for the labour. For ds1 from start to finish it was about 12 hrs, 7 at home and 5 in hospital. The midwife wasn't aware of ac malformation, as my gp midwife had reassured me that it wasn't an issue. I pushed for 2+ hrs (hated that bit). In the end I used gas and air (didn't seem to help) but ds1 just wouldn't get in position so it ended in a ventouse delivery with a pudendal block. The pudendal is something I hadn't heard of it, but it offered so much relief.

Second labour, 10 hrs total 5 at home 5 at hospital. Again I used gas and air (worked amazing), after 40 mins of pushing ds2 wasn't for appearing so ended in ventouse with pudendal. This time the pudendal didn't help with pain. I think in my first labour the relief was largely psychological.

Speaking with the midwife after, she felt that during contractions I was almost keeping the baby in rather than pushing. In both cases I never got the urge to push, but I wonder now if that's because I had a fear of the consequences and so held myself back. I have to say, during the second labour I was relieved in the knowledge I wouldn't be pushing for hours and I knew (or had already decided) that it would be a ventouse delivery.

Speak to your midwife, consultant, etc and know your options. I was really upset that I couldn't use the birth centre, and that my options were limited given I had no symptoms. I completely understand your feelings about the ga. I was reassured to know baby would go straight to my husband in another room, it wouldn't impact b'feeding and I would come round immediately after birth.

I'd be really interested to hear the advise you're given! If you have any other q's please feel free to ask.

x

thank you so much for the reply, a lot of the stuff you wrote was what I was concerned about, especially the breast feeding. I honestly thought the meds and the fact its not a natural birth with a c sec that it would make it difficult to breast feed.

the other half in the other room still makes me anxious and a little bit sad as I hate the idea of him not being there. he has two LO already and they have been natural births and as daft as it sounds I feel a bit gutted me and baby could potentially miss out on this experience.

I don't really mind the pain as I personally feel I have an exceptionally high pain thresh hold, after undergoing the decompression surgery I doubt much else could hurt much more, and I was out of hospital within 2days of the surgery. its more any damage I may cause that's my concern.

I have a follow up on the 7th of june so pretty early days I suppose in regards to the pregnancy and also ive been advised ill be on a consultants ward instead of the birthing centre which im also a little miffed at due to my local hospital going thru a 30million pound refurb 2 years ago, the rooms are like swanky hotel rooms haha but its not all whats best for me so ill just have to put my dummy back in.

thank you again for your reply its great to hear form someone real that's been thru the experience and not just research reports.

hope everything is great for you now and that its not caused to much issues since the birth

kind regards

pink

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back