Arrival of Samuel 9/3/2011

sarajane

Mother of 1
Reaction score
So, on Saturday 5th I started getting strong period pain in the night time but thought nothing of it as it eventually went away, the following tuesday I was going home from meeting a friend and had to call my OH to come and help me home as it started hurting a lot to walk, lots of pressure. At the time, i thought nothing of any of these things, I just assumed they were aches and pains of pregnancy, I was still only just 38 weeks! So I went to work as usual in the afternoon and advised my clients that the following week I would be going on maternity leave. I thought it would be nice to have a weeks rest before the due date... how wrong was I!!!!

I finished work 8.30pm on Tuesday 8th March, I woke up at about 8am on Wednesday 9th and barely managed to get to the bathroom before my waters broke... and continued to break all morning. So at noon I went to the midwife and she examined me and told me that I was about 2-3cm dilated and said to get my things together and head up to the hospital. I still wasn´t having contractions at this point.

So, I went home and decided I didn´t need to go to the hospital yet, had some tea, some lunch and even decided to take a nap.... crazy looking back on it now. My contractions had started by this point but they just felt like period pain. When I got up from my nap the contractions seemed quite close together so I thought maybe I should time them. I hadn´t told OH how close they were but they were about 5mins apart. So, i said lets go to the hospital. I arrived at 5pm at the hospital, and the gyno examined me ( in Spain its mostly doctors that deal with labour not midwives) and she said OMG you´re 5cm dilated why didn´t you come before... and I just replied.. well, it wasn´t hurting!

So anyway, then it really did start to get uncomfortable and I asked if i would be allowed any pain relief (in Spain they only have epidural). They said they would take me up to labour ward and then see what they can do. So, half an hour later I´m hooked up to monitors and such, flat on my back on a bed, which is NOT comfortable, and still asking for pain meds because the pain was really strong, contractions on top of each other and me thinking I´m still 5cm. They get the needle out, examine me, and then I hear "shit, your 10cm, why didn´t you say anything, you have to push!!" ... Now, how the hell was I supposed to know I was 10cm??!!! The only thing I could reply was " does this mean no pain meds, but it hurts!!!"

They wheel me in to another room, legs up in stirrups, and tell me to push. People told me the pushing part, and the head crowning is the most painful part, but for me it was the easiest, and relieved the pain of the contractions! Anyway, to cut a long story short, after a couple of pushes my son was born at 18.40 weighing 7lbs 5oz, with no pain relief at all, and I only needed two internal stitches! :happydance:

As this was my first pregnancy I really didn´t know what to expect and thought it would hurt a lot, but staying calm really helped, and if I had known I was 10cm when it really started to hurt, I probably wouldn´t have even asked for epidural!

Sorry for the long story, well done for getting through it!

Here is a picture of my son Samuel, he is perfect! :cloud9:

Attachments

• Sam1.jpg
    Sam1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 19
What a great story - I am praying for something similar!

He is beautiful - congratulations xx
:hugs:

Congrats! Great birthday too- its mine! the 9th of March :thumbup:

COngrats what a lovely story little Samuel is gorgeous xx

Really lovely story and well done for being able to stay calm, I sure wasn't able to!

You're right, he is perfect, congratulations!

Thanks for the congrats everyone! :flower:

And Henrysmumkaz, i´m not really sure how i managed to stay calm, i think part of me didnt want to make a scene, especially being in Spain, didn´t want them to see me as some kind of crazy lunatic English woman! But now they see me as some kind of freak because I managed to give birth without any pain relief and without many stitches, since epidural is the only choice here, women go straight to hospital as soon as contractions start and get the epidural put in asap! But, it was really nice not having to worry about the after effects of things like that! :happydance:

However, i can´t guarantee I´ll have the same reaction if i decide to have another child, they say all labours are different! haha

God I hope my labour goes like that lol

Congratualtions, your baby boy is adorable :kiss:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"