Article: Kidney donor payments 'would save lives'

tallybee

DS '04, DD '06, DD '15
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-14379215

Strict rules or no strict rules, this sounds like a crazy idea! £28,000 for a kidney... But then, clearly not enough people are donating out of pure altruism if three people a day die on the transplant waiting list.

(ETA - this isn't actually going to be happening, it's just an idea some doctors have got into the press)

Thoughts?

I think organ donation should be opt out not opt in.

There shouldnt be payouts its all sorts of wrong. People should donate for the right reasons not for money. People could be blinded by that amount of money and not think of the long term effects or consquences

I agree that it should be opt out as well.

I think putting money in the equasion would be a disaster. Firstly it would mean more privilledged people being able to afford the transplant and less fortunate not, which is wrong IMO.

I also think that it would stop people going on the register out of the good of their hearts, we're in a time where everything is a bit of a struggle financially, so if you know you could get £28k for giving, or giving it for free, I know which option a lot would choose.

xxx

Im not a donor but if time where hard and someone would give me 28k I cannot say I would no.. I do agree it would open up a whole load of issues though

There shouldnt be payouts its all sorts of wrong. People should donate for the right reasons not for money. People could be blinded by that amount of money and not think of the long term effects or consquences

I agree!

I do too :) Plus to make donation like that paid, it opens up opportunity for a private black market :sick:

Am i right or wrong in thinking that in the USA you get paid for blood donation? not sure if tht extends to organs.

Im an organ donor and happy for anyone to take anything from me when i am dead.

I would love to be a blood donor but im never allowed (anemia, pregnancy etc) but try every year to, so def would if i could.

As for a live donor, if my husband, kids etc needed a kidney then no problems.

Although I can see the appeal for money for live donors, obviously not in the case of family, but i think there would be a huge uptake on live donors if you were paid. From a black and white perspective its seems simple and good, person needing kindey wins (gets kidney) and donor wins (gets paid large amount of money).

As for black market stuff, it happens now, plenty of people DO sell kindeys for money.

One of the problems with making money is that what if things dont work out? So the recipicant rejects the organ! Then a huge amount of money has been paid out and its been worthless, esp if its the recipicants own money, imagine remortgaging or selling your home, getting a loan or using all your savings to end up with less time with your family?

What happens if the donor gets sick? donor dies? donor needs a kindey?

i dont think morally or ethically it can work, but i would imagine it would create a huge uptake if it did happen. I mean a lot of people would be tempted for that sort of money.

Surrogancy in some countries is paid for, and im one way its a simular thing, you take a risk with your body and get a finicial reward - i know there is a lot more to it than that and most people who do it really have hearts of gold and do it for the pleasure of making other poeple families.

Another example would be medical studies, people get paid to take drugs, or something??? (not really sure what it involves) but they are paid for that.

So i can see the argument both sides really, no idea what is best.

From what I know though live organ donations are much better and usually much more successful, and thats possibly the reason.

How many of you would donate you kidney to a stranger, i doubt many of us are even bone marrow donors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->