artificial sweeteners?

aspiringmum

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have nausea in the mornings and often throughout the day. Gingerale has been helping quite a bit but I've started getting horrible diarrhea (sorry TMI) after drinking it--I'm thinking because of the high sugar content. Would diet gingerale be safe or are artificial sweeteners a no-no??

I have heard warnings about artificial sweeteners during pregnancy but I don't know that they are true. Personally, I try not to eat anything artificial anyway. Can you eat some ginger instead?

My midwife told me to avoid food and drink with high sugar content and I said I was drinking quite a lot of ginger ale and she advised me to drink the sugar free ones. I'm personally not a fan of artificial sweeteners generally but if my midwife advised it I can't see it doing any harm (at least not pregnancy wise).

Avoid ones with sorbitol in as that can cause diarrhea if you consume too much (many sugar free sweets etc with it in carry a warning on the label)

I was told to avoid artificial sweeteners. I would ring your OB's office. Artificial sweeteners are chemicals and they are bad for you even when not pregnant. Sugar isn't great for you, but it's far better than the alternatives.

I hate artificial sweeteners so didn't consume them much before I had my twins. But during pregnancy and breastfeeding, I avoid them at all costs.

Hello, I am just skulking from trying to conceive and cannot wait to be once back here in 1st tri.

I read your post and I had to reply I hope you don;t mind. Not long after my little lady was born me and my OH thought we would be healthy and cut out sugar and go to sweetener for a while all was ok the not long after like you I was very irregular toilet wise with very loose stools I was so worried I was at the doc and had test and tests done everything was fine and it was a radom chat on fb with a few friends they the pitfalls of sweetener came up so I googled into it and was horrified and went back to sugar. In a few days things were better. I think I have done damage to my gut tho as its not been right properly since but still better.

Try cutting it out and see of you feel better xx

There is a lot of conflicting stuff out there on sweeteners so I decided to try and avoid them. I am not obsessive but just try where poss!

Aspartame, and other sweetners of the same content, are chemicals. They are not safe to consume. I can't imagine a midwife ever advising it. Unfortunately since its considered 'safe' by the CDC and FDA, than I guess some doctors encourage it. I drank it while pregnant with my 2nd baby, on the odd occasion and my daughter is ok ...however I did extensive research and there are too many risks with it. I would suggest you avoid it, if you have it once-in-a-while, than I'm sure it won't harm baby, but avoid large amounts!!! Not good

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->