Asthma and early pregnancy?

ela13

Reaction score
I'm 5 weeks pregnant and I have cold induced asthma during the winter months. I usually take xopenex inhaler. Have any of you taken xopenex (or albuterol) rescue inhaler this early into pregnancy? I'm waiting for a call back from my GP an thought I'd ask on here in the meanwhile. I'm so uncomfortable but scared to use my inhaler! Thanks!

If you're not getting enough oxygen... either is your baby. My friend took her inhaler when needed when she was pregnant. It's worth checking with your doctor but it's important to take it if you need it.

Maybe read the little leaflet that comes with your inhaler or check with your pharmacist too!

Thanks for your reply! I'm so confused and the hormones are not helping the situation! I think I'm mostly concerned about taking it so early in pregnancy... I hope my GP gets back to me soon. Have any of you taken albuterol or xopenex this early in pregnancy? Or have you been switched to a "safer" med?

I'm not sure on the type of inhaler you take. ..at my most recent asthma check up I told the nurse we were trying for a baby and she said it was okay to continue taking my inhalers during pregnancy.

My blue inhaler is just salbutamol and I also take the brown one clenil.

Not sure if it helps, hope your gp gets back to you soon

Thanks! salbutamol is the same as albuterol which is similar to what I'm taking (xopenex is albuterol minus the inactive ingredient). That does make me feel better. I just took a single puff and feel so much better!!! I can breathe! :) no GP yet... Think it's time to find a midwife!

Hi I am 5 weeks pregnant and I have been using my blue salbutamol inhaler so I hope it's ok. I have recently re developed asthma after growing out of it when I was a kid. I will go read the leaflet and get back to you xxxx

Thanks! From what I read it is a category "c" (by American standards) which is scary but I'm trying to weigh the risks... I do need to breathe!

i take mine all the time as my asthma is pretty bad - everyone is right, your baby needs oxygen and that is most important so it is fine to take! i have to take a controller inhaler twice a day too. for 1/3 of ladies asthma gets worse in pregnancy, 1/3 get better and 1/3 stay the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->