Asthma in an infant

Hangin_On_AGS

Reaction score
Last night Mia had what the doctors believe was an asthma attack. My grandma, mom, sister, and I all have asthma. The ER doctor said he believes with family history that last nights events were most likely an asthma attack although she is far to young to be diagnosed with asthma. He suggested if it ever happens again that I use my nebulizer on her for a little bit unless her lips turn blue than to come back in immediately.
Has anyone else had a child who had asthmatic symptoms young and when were you able to get your child diagnosed and get their own meds.

Both my girls went on asthma meds in their first year. My oldest daughter was a few months old, and my youngest was 8 months. Theirs seem to be illness induced asthma, but yes, although they prescribe Flovent and ventolin to both my girls, they rarely use the word asthma. Both have been hospitalised with my oldest daughter being the worst.

Yes, but the good news that most young kids outgrow it. I was diagnosed when I was a teen and had it since.

But my son never outgrew his. He developing a lot of breathing issues in his toddler years though.

My son was diagnosed what they call RAD (Reactive Airway Disease) essentially asthma but they hesitate to really call it that when they are really young. He started having symptoms at 4 months old and we soon started the nebulizer on him. Then the symptoms got worse every time he got a cold and we started adding in steroid inhalers. Then he started needing ER trips as he was struggling with wheezing and constant coughs. So now we added allergy testing and medications for allergies. He is now three and not really showing signs of outgrowing it except that his lungs are bigger so he doesn't really wheeze as much when he has a flare. Since you have such a family history, they say that it is a high chance of passing it along. We have no family history so this was really hard for us to learn about and adjust to. I actually came on here to see if I can find information about asthma since my son's really isn't well controlled yet. I wish you lots of luck with your LO. It is so hard to watch them cough and have troubles with breathing :(

My lo is not diagnosed as having asthma they refer to him as responds to ventolin. He has been having symptoms since about 6 months of age but only recently just after he turned one was ventolin prescribed for him. He seems to suffer as a result of illness, virus', colds etc. He has had many trips to the ER and twice recently via ambulance and one overnight stay in hospital. I have been told he may grow out of it but there is really no way of knowing. I hate it, it scares me as I really have never known anything about asthma. My DH suffered a little as a child and mil has asthma but that's the only family history. I have been told by dr's they don't like to diagnose asthma this early and won't do until lo is 2 or 3 depending on how he goes. I now have to take the ventolin and spacer with me everywhere we go. I find my self checking on him constantly at night too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->