At a loss , please give advice

PoasCrazy

Reaction score
My daughter has ADHD. This week will start medicine for treatment for the first time. The reason being this school year so far has been hell.
My problem is that her school and Teachers have demonized her. They take away recess every single day and send behavior reports home with red frowny faces every day with all negative comments. NEVER anything positive. Its always about what she did wrong , never anything she did right!
I feel sorry for her, she has lost a lust for learning. She knows when its time for school its time to go be punished and ridiculed all day. I just feel bad for my child. Her teacher doesn't understand because my daughter is the "BAD" kid.
Seriously , what do I do ?

Edit , she is 7

omg that is awful :nope: i'm not experienced in this but i have been told that when trying to help children with behavior etc then using negatives is a big no! even words like no shouldn't be used, and for a teacher to behave like this is bad.
Could you change schools? Maybe check out other schools explain what you would need from them. Get your HV (if you still have one) and doctor involved. Like i said im no expert with adhd but i hope you get something sorted. A teacher/s should not behave like that.

:hugs:

I agree with PP. This teacher is obviously not educated to deal with a child with ADHD, or any other disability really. There are ways of being constructive to help discourage bad behavior and promote good behavior at the same time and this is obviously not being done. If your child can't go to another school, you at least need to open the lines of communication with the school and find out what can be done. Obviously, because of this teacher, your child's learning is being disrupted and I don't believe that medication is going to help anything. Sometimes meds are needed, but when certain needs aren't being met by the child's teacher chances are, the meds aren't going to really help the situation. It may even make things worse. This teacher should be ashamed of this type of behavior. This is NOT your child's fault, it is the teachers.

Oh and btw, my younger brother has ADHD and he was never treated this way. He would get "goals" sent home with him to work on at home and at school to correct bad behavior by rewarding when good behavior was present.

My son's school this year has turned a bit like that, although my son is generally a good boy as he hates being called a naughty boy. He has autism so slightly different. In the last 2 years prior to this year they were all about including him in everything they did. This year he's now the 'Special one' Its horrible how as he got a new teacher he's now being singled out. Unfortunately the school we want to send him to won't take children until the age of 7 and only get 10 places for the whole county each year so there is a high possibility we won't get in, then I would have to look for a new replacement.

We have tried talking to the teacher but it's getting us no where. If possible try talking to the school and ask them to work towards goals and getting rewards. My son has a jar and he places cubes in the jar if he's good and takes them out if he's naughty. He enjoys this as its nice and visual for him. And praise every small reward, even if its just something like walking quietly along the corridor with others or getting changed for P.E. with no fuss. That way you can make a big stockpile so you can work on all the bad behaviour without having an empty jar. If by the end of the week he has over 10 cubes in the jar he gets a treat. For my son this is normally a trip to the shop and choosing a sweet or going to grandma's (my gran) as she has about as much chocolate as the sweet shop! Obviously his reward is flexible to a degree, so if we're going out somewhere like the zoo he could pick something bigger than we would normally allow him to get, but he knows he needs to get extra cubes for this. It worked really well for him. Not saying it would for your daughter as every child is different, but if the school is willing, be worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->