At a loss with my 8 year old! HELP!

AdrienMarie

Reaction score
Girls, I have a quick question where I could really use some suggestions. My daughter, who is in 3rd grade, is just flat out refusing to do her school work. She will actually complete it, but she is failing every paper because she refuses to read directions and take her time. This has gotten so bad, that at first we made her re-write her papers she failed every night. This did not bother her at all, even when she had to do them 4 and 5 times. Then, we tried extra chores, to no avail. NOW, we have had to start keeping her in from recess to complete failed work, and she is still not doing what she should. Is this a phase? I really don't want her to fail 3rd grade, and I am not sure what to do next. Right now she has missed three full days of recess, and due to miss another tomorrow because she's not even doing her work in class. AGH...lol..what do I do??? :wacko:

hiya - not sure how it works in the us but do school have concerns too?
is it worth working with school to come up with a plan or assessments?

could she be dyslexic?
My son was quite easily distractable at 8 tho - marginally better at 10!!
hope that helps

Yeah the school has issues too, but here's the problem...
Here in the US they are constantantly doing these standardized tests to see how the teachers are doing. She passes these fine, but all of her regular work she fails. I think the school is more worried about these tests than her passing the third grade. I'm extremely frustrated with her teacher too (at some point she decided that the kids grading their own homework was a good idea?) so now my daughter is lying and marking things correct that are wrong so she doesn't have to redo her work.
Perhaps her teacher is the one I need to get a hold of:thumbup: I have a meeting with her on the 10th...

You definitely need to get on the same page with her teacher. Also, stick with it. She will eventually decide that missing recess sucks and start doing her work. You just have to hold out longer than she does, and make sure you reward her when she does get it done.

I'm extremely frustrated with her teacher too (at some point she decided that the kids grading their own homework was a good idea?) so now my daughter is lying and marking things correct that are wrong so she doesn't have to redo her work.

UMMM.... what did she THINK was going to happen???? :dohh:

I have a 10 year old SD she has been having problems in school with reading and now math. She is far behind with her reading but the CRCT testing is great, she passes them with flying colors. I am in the same boat just she does the work and is still having problems. She lives with her mom and I really dont have much of a say. i have suggested having her held back for a year. Maybe if you explain to your DD that you will hold her back if you dont see she is improving with her maturity on taking school seriously. It might work??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->