At the risk of sounding like an idiot- contraction question

gk1701

Reaction score
So I had one of those terrible leg cramp/charlie horse things this morning. Where you stretch your leg out and it hurts like heck!! There was no possible way I could breath through it, relax or focus on anything. My entire body went stiff and all I could say was ow, ow, ow- there was no breathing or calmness even though I was thinking, "now would be a perfect time to practice for a contraction."

What am I going to do when I have a real contraction if I can't even manage a 30 second leg cramp???

I'm really starting to doubt myself here.

I have to admit I found them very comparable to severe leg cramps (I was on pitocin).

However, a 'leg cramp' causes fight or flight, IMO. The response to an unnatural pain out of nowhere, with no expectation. A contraction is mentally different, there is no fight or flight going in your brain. It's impossible to explain. I'm not one of those who can say I found the pain 'manageable', but I will say that you need to use your mindset to get through it :)

What am I going to do when I have a real contraction if I can't even manage a 30 second leg cramp???

Cramp is far worse IMO than contractions! You can relax through a contraction, but no way through a severe bout of cramp :)

You will be fine; relax, keep calm, and trust your body to do what it is designed, planned and built for! :flower:

Cramp comes on suddenly and unexpectedly. Contractions start off mild and get gradually stronger. They come in waves, you know one is coming and you get a chance to prepare for it. I imagined the pain just washing over me. I almost enjoyed the pain! A bit like pushing yourself to the limit at the gym, it hurts but it feels good! I did get to a point where the pain was unbearable (the dreaded ring of fire!) but then LO was born and it was over.

Thanks for all of the replies. It definitely gives me hope that I can do it too!! My baby is coming next week (or maybe a couple of weeks after that) so I definitely need the extra encouragement!:hugs:

I got cramp in my leg in labour and that hurt worse than the contractions.

My mom said the same thing.
She got a leg cramp while having me, and said that that was way worse than the contractions.

Oh my god gk1701 i had this! The other night i stretched out my leg and the cramp pain was so intense i just moaned and wriggled til it stopped after about 20 seconds. I then lay there thinking i was pathetic and how i was supposed to get through a home birth with just gas and air if i cant last through a leg cramp. :)

I like mrshedgehog's way or describing it though- that's what i'm going to aim for!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->