Ate Raw Egg by Accident

Gwen77

Reaction score
Hi All! I'm currently 14weeks, 1 day. Well, my MIL served home made ice cream for dessert the other night, and I found out afterwards that she had raw egg whites in it.

Should I be concerned?

Nope. You should avoid raw egg because of the risk of salmonella but the chances of the egg being contaminated are very, very low. I mean, there wouldn't be any recipes containing raw egg, if people fell ill all the time. I wouldn't worry.

As pp said it isn't the egg itself but the chance it makes you sick, and so sick you'd probably be hospitalised for it to be a concern.

If you've felt fine since I wouldn't worry

Are you in the uk? As apparently we can eat runny eggs now. It's really low risk and all eggs have to be salmonella vaccinated (or the chickens they come from are anyway!). My in laws have chickens and they said even their chickens are vaccinated, they just all are now apparently. I should think you're fine

Same as everyone above, risks are so low I wouldn't bother worrying about it unless you're feeling really ill

Are you in the uk? As apparently we can eat runny eggs now. It's really low risk and all eggs have to be salmonella vaccinated (or the chickens they come from are anyway!). My in laws have chickens and they said even their chickens are vaccinated, they just all are now apparently. I should think you're fine

It's only lion stamped eggs that are guaranteed salmonella free. But I was so happy when I heard this recently! Love a runny egg!

ETA - not that I'm saying your in laws eggs aren't, just clarifying that generally it's lion stamped eggs that are safe

Thanks ladies! I thought I'd be fine, but I wanted other opinions.

Oh, and I'm in Canada

I heard too now in the UK we can eat runny eggs but i asked my midwife if this is true as its been in the news and she said no!(i could have cried all i wanted was a fried egg sandwich)
Mind you, she didn't even know if they now give the men b vaccination as standard now either (i read they do).
But i also read that midwives have not changed their guidelines as they haven't done enough research or something yet??
Im going to ask her again on Tuesday when i see her next as no other egg will do apart from runny at the moment lol

Helen most people in the uk now consider eggs safe and I tend to agree the vaccination of chickens greatly decreased the Amount of salmonella outbreaks https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/01/poultry-vaccinations-credited-for-uks-big-drop-in-salmonella/
In regards to accidently eating raw egg, I would try not to worry. We all slip up on occasion and just watch for symptoms. But if your feeling okay I bet your fine. Did mil know your pregnant?

If you are in the uk, you are fine, they recently said eggs are a very low risk now to preggo's. <3

The NHS haven't officially changed their advice yet because the Food Standards Agency haven't but from what I have read it's just because of red tape and consultation processes. Lion stamped eggs are considered safe now. I panicked yesterday as I made a cake and automatically licked the spoon! Then I remembered it should be ok. No illness yet......

Before getting pregnant, I ate a lot of raw cookie dough and cake batter, since it is my weakness. Never got sick, but of course would never do that now.

I'm also in Canada, I've eaten runny eggs plenty of times. Same as everyone else said, the chances of you getting sick are very slim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->