Attacks of Severe Abdominal pain post gallbladder removal.

miss h

Reaction score
I started to get severe abdominal pains in December last year (at the time I was 32 weeks pregnant). These "attacks" lasted between 1 and 4 hours and would start in the upper center of my stomach (right below my ribcage) and gradually worsen and radiate to my back, chest and shoulders. I vomited on a few occasions and felt clammy. No change in position helped. After my daughter was born I got approx 6 attacks in 2 months and then... nothing. I could not relate it to food as I got the attacks sometimes after having eating nothing at all. My doc sent me for an ultrasound and they found small stones in my gallbladder. I had not had an attack in about 3 months but they decided surgery was the best option for me. About 4 weeks ago I had my gallbladder removed via keyhole surgery.

The surgery went well and I was home the same day. 5 days later I experienced exactly the same pain as before and was admitted to Surgical Assessment where I saw numerous docs. At first my bloods showed some unusual liver results (they never said what) but returned to normal the next morning. I had another ultrasound, which showed no obvious retained stones or leakages. I was discharged with the suggestion that it was "just one of those things" but I was referred for an MRI. I have no idea who referred me for this and nor does my G.P (he had no idea i had been referred).

I went for my MRI appointment earlier this week but they wouldn't scan me as I was still in the 6-week post surgery bracket. I have to go back on 1st December.

Since surgery I have had around 4 attacks in about 3 weeks (none in the last week though). It seems as though having my gallbladder removed has triggered things off again!

I saw a locum GP this week (could not get appointment with regular gp) who suggested that maybe the pain was due to reflux!!! Bare in mind that my doc tried omeprazole to start with and that had no effect whatsoever.

Right now I am feeling really lost. At hospital the surgeons and consultants made me feel like I was overreacting - if they checked my notes they would see I have a high pain threshold (I gave birth with no drugs) so when I say a pain is a 9 outta 10 it means it really hurts. My GP does not sound interested at all and suggests that it is the surgeons problem and I am to go back to him, only I have no idea who it was and how to reach them.

I am terrified of the pain happening again. I have a 9 month old daughter and work shifts (often alone) and have no idea how I will cope if this becomes a regular thing.

I need some advice. What could this pain be? Who do I need to pester about this pain??

Please Help

Ria

keep going into hospital each time, you may have grit in your tubes, my surgeon told me that i may have more attacks, but he did a proper wash out which they dont usually do. i was told that if i had the pains again it would be caused by grit and need to have more surgery.

keep going into hospital each time, you may have grit in your tubes, my surgeon told me that i may have more attacks, but he did a proper wash out which they dont usually do. i was told that if i had the pains again it would be caused by grit and need to have more surgery.

Could they find the grit on a scan? My ultrasound revealed nothing but still awaiting an MRI.

I am so sorry for you having to cope with your pain, i myself have been through similar thing, and i am very suprised that no one had sent you for an endoscopy with it being abdominal, i rang myself an ambulance the first time the pain attacks hit me, and they told me id had a panic attack and sent me home, but they continued even when i was relaxed and happy, it just came acute starting in my stomach mild gradualy getting worse and spreading to the point i was curling over in agony, lasting up to an hour, my doc was not happy as i was almost crying to her that i cant deal with my baby when i get an attack, so i was sent for the camera down so theyt can get a good look of my insides (endoscopy) so glad i did as it was obvious i had Gastritis, were the stomach lining had thined, i was put on omeprazamol to, it wasnt magic and it did not work right away, but after a month of being on it, my attacks went, it takes time to work, i dont know if your condition is the same, but you could request an endoscopy it is the only way to diagnose it. Gl

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->