Autism sample in Arapahoe County higher than nation's

D

deafgal

A Colorado test county has seen a 60 percent spike in diagnosed autism over two years, far higher than an already-worrisome surge in national rates for the disorder, the CDC and state health officials said Thursday.

Read more: Autism sample in Arapahoe County higher than nation's - The Denver Post https://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_...ahoe-county-higher-than-nations#ixzz1qbQCdV9B
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: https://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Autism is considered to be genetic so if one parent is on the autistic spectrum it is highly likely their children will be, it increases if both parents are. So if it is a close community (as in not many people move away) then it seems probably that if there was a few people on the spectrum to begin with that the number would increase over time. Also other factors such as the rise of women having children later in life is making the figures rise. So although I would not dismiss environmental factors I would not say that a high concentration in one are would automatically be caused by that.

Saying it is 'worrisome' seems a stretch considering it said the number was people on the spectrum. That means some may have it so mild that it would cause very little issues. Also high-functioning Autism, while having difficulties, comes with a lot on benefits too. It has been suggested than many of the people who have contributed largely to society (scientists, inventors, engineers, artists and even writers) may have had high-functioning autism in order to be so dedicated to their discipline and see abstract idea. Not dismissing the issues of having it/looking after and Autistic child, particularly those with low functioning Autism, but I do not particularly like how the Autistic spectrum is getting portrayed by some neurotypical people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->