autism - what age??

sam2eb

Reaction score
So my almost 5 year old was diagnosed over a year ago with ASD and now I am having concerns about my 7 month old.

I know she is only teeny still but there are some signs there, no babbling, avoids eye contact etc. Apart from the signs I just have this gut feeling that she does have autism.

What age do you reckon the health professionals would start to take my concerns seriously? I've just approached my health visitor but she said she's too wee to be worrying about autism :/

At 7 months you are unlikely to find anyone who will consider it. However with her sibling being on the spectrum its always worth keeping an eye out later. Generally from 18months-2 years there would be some signs, but at 7 months there is so much development going on, you just can't tell.

I was worried my youngest was on the spectrum like her sister, but as she grew up it was clear she was quite different and didnt struggle in areas like her sister. We're keeping a beady eye on things and she has a 33month questionnaire we have to complete, we just asked the HV if we could make sure she was reviewed properly seeing as we weren't listen to before with our first. Thankfully, they are doing so.

If you feel the same way when she gets to about 18m-2yrs, its worth speaking to the HV again about your fears. but right now, enjoy your baby! :)

Autistm is present at birth but as PP said they won't take it seriously until later on. If you feel like this at 18 months+ push your HV to get seen to. I am 99% certain that this child will have autism (genetic my side) so I'm going to try and get him/her seen as early as possible to get the support in place for school etc.

Autistm is present at birth but as PP said they won't take it seriously until later on. If you feel like this at 18 months+ push your HV to get seen to. I am 99% certain that this child will have autism (genetic my side) so I'm going to try and get him/her seen as early as possible to get the support in place for school etc.

This is how i feel too. My son was only 3 when he was diagnosed but it was so obvious from before he was 1. I just want her to be able to access the help that's avaliable asap.

This is how i feel too. My son was only 3 when he was diagnosed but it was so obvious from before he was 1. I just want her to be able to access the help that's avaliable asap.

My son was evaluated at 15 months for autism but I was told that was an early appt. I assume that since you already have a history of it they might go for an earlier screening but it depends on your area and all that. I would keep pushing for it after 12 months but would doubt they would even take you seriously before a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->