Autism

Frooty

Reaction score
Hi all today my son had his 2 year development check with the health visitor she said shes going to refer him to a paediatrician and speech and language therapist she's concerned that he's doing repetitive things like running up and down from 1 end of the room to another and not holding attention. Just wondering what everyones experience with autism is?

I think it's difficult to learn and understand autism because everyones experiences are very, very different. Autism is a huge spectrum that can cover different issues and behaviours. I have just been to several support groups in the last month and we were all very shocked at how different our lives were!

Did your health visitor mention the possibilty of autism?

What I will say is it's great he is being referred, whether or not something is going on. The paeditrican will be able to shed more light on the situation.

She said shes thinking autism coz of his attention span and the way he runs up and down and he didn't say much when she was there but he does say words if I ask him to can build blocks etc

Not all children with Autism can't talk. It depends what he talks about. I know a couple of mums who have children with Autism who you can have a proper conversation with. Although when they were younger it was mainly about their interests (fire extinguisher and Cake Monster (boss on LittleBigPlanet made up name)) Its generally classed as Aspergers then which is still Autism, which in 2 years will be called ASD so it really makes no difference.

I've copied and pasted a list of what some people who have autism have. Some are for older children and do not apply, and no one with autism would have the whole list here. There would normally be one or two in certain groups.

Social skills

Fails to respond to his or her name
Has poor eye contact
Appears not to hear you at times
Resists cuddling and holding
Appears unaware of others' feelings
Seems to prefer playing alone — retreats into his or her own world
Doesn't ask for help or request things

Language

Doesn't speak or has delayed speech
Loses previously acquired ability to say words or sentences
Doesn't make eye contact when making requests
Speaks with an abnormal tone or rhythm — may use a singsong voice or robot-like speech
Can't start a conversation or keep one going
May repeat words or phrases verbatim, but doesn't understand how to use them
Doesn't appear to understand simple questions or directions

Behavior

Performs repetitive movements, such as rocking, spinning or hand-flapping
Develops specific routines or rituals and becomes disturbed at the slightest change
Moves constantly
May be fascinated by details of an object, such as the spinning wheels of a toy car, but doesn't understand the "big picture" of the subject
May be unusually sensitive to light, sound and touch, and yet oblivious to pain
Does not engage in imitative or make-believe play
May have odd food preferences, such as eating only a few foods, or craving items that are not food, such as chalk or dirt
May perform activities that could cause self-harm, such as headbanging

You probably have nothing to worry about, but getting checked out wouldn't do any harm, and if he does happen to have ASD then you can help him get the best out of life early on, rather than later.

My son is three and autistic, I can help if you have any questions.

The only thing I would suggest at the moment is to be prepared for the fact that the paediatrician wont be able to give you an answer right now. They will tell you how is development is and mention any concerns but they wont be able to tell you if he is autistic, it is usually a wait and see thing. I know that can be really hard when you just want someone to give you an answer.

My 5 year old son was diagnosed with Classic Autism, which is on the lower end of the spectrum. He will be 6 in October, only says a few words, didn't even say his first word until he was 4 almost 5. He was in diapers until 5 years old, we literally just got him potty trained. But he still will pee on the floor and he plays with his feces a lot too. He has an appointment on the 14th for a behavior and speech therapy session with his Dr, we are going to see if he is even able to registered for Kindergarden, He stims really hard, punches, kicks and bites me all the time, He refuses to use the restroom anywhere but our home bathroom, so I really don't know how it's gonna work with him being at school. Having a kid with Autism "especially on the lower spectrum" is very hard. I am 26 and he is my first and only kid, so I am learning how to be a parent at the same time as learning how to be a parent of a mentally disabled child. Me and DH are TTC our second child right now, I think it would be good for our son, Having interactions with other children I think will help him develop a little better. We have tried to get him to make friends with other people's kids, but it just doesn't work, he runs away from them and cries every time. I always wanted 2 kids, and I want to have my second before I hit 30..lol I wish the best of luck to you, if you have any questions feel free to ask, I will give you what knowledge I have so far, I'm still learning as I go along

He says quite a few words but prefers to play on his own i think he likes spinning wheels on a toy car but will also play with properly making the car sounds beep beep and all that. He runs back and forth from what end to the other at least 2 rounds

He says quite a few words but prefers to play on his own i think he likes spinning wheels on a toy car but will also play with properly making the car sounds beep beep and all that. He runs back and forth from what end to the other at least 2 rounds

Yeah when he runs back and forth like that it's usually Autistic Stimming is what they call it. Does he flap his hands or make any kind of finger movements when he does it? My son runs back and forth grunting and slaps his hands together when he stims. Our son likes watching things spin as well, all the toys he has are some kind of car, that's all he will pick out at the store, and he spins the tires on them and stims out at that too. I can't get my son to make any kind of noise when he plays with anything, it's like the imagination is not there. I'm hoping to find out more information when he goes to his Dr in a few days. Hope everything goes good for you and I wish the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->