Awful time breastfeeding and anxiety

plush_pink

Reaction score
Hi ladies, please help...

I've just had my second child 12 days ago and I'm having a terrible time BF. I Breastfed my first for 9 months with very little trouble but this is a whole different ball game. Once my milk came in, I got heavily engorged so DS struggled to latch properly therefore causing my nipples to become extremely cracked. Ouchie! My right nipple is struggling to heal and the only advice I've had from midwives etc is to just persevere. Worst advice ever! instead I've been expressing from my bad nipple (and feeding it to him through a bottle) and feeding normally from the other side. I live in hope that my nipple will heal so I can BF normally soon. Has anyone else struggled from this who has some good advice please?

Also, I seem to suffer from anxiety about 3/4pm in the afternoon until the evening. Is this normal? I'm so worried about PND but I do remember getting this with my first child. When does it pass (if at all!)?

Thanks for reading. Sorry about the rambling x

first sorry you are having a rough go. my first couple weeks we rough too. make sure baby doesnt have lip or tongue tie. see if you can find a consultant to see if your latch is ok. i too expressed until my nipple healed it wasnt too bad but did need a couple days for it to heal now things are great. i too would feel anxiety late in the day i chalked it up to being sleep deprived. best thing is to talk to people friends family other moms about how you feel. maybe there is a group you can attend sometimes getting out the house can do wonders to your overall good health. i just discovered movies for mommies and now that baby is sleeping more at night i sleep more so i feel better. Good luck I am sure all will get better in time.

They aren't for everyone but shields massively helped me first time around. When they were initially cracked and bleeding I was told to express by my mw. I hated it. We then got back on to bfing using shields but I needed to use them at least until 6/7wks and even at that point DS could reopen the cracks and make me bleed. This time I used shields again to help ds2 latch on when I was engorged and to help give my nipples a rest. Also to begin with I swapped around holds to mix up where baby was feeding from. A good nipple cream is essential and I've also started to use a bfing pillow which is making feeding more comfortable.

In my experience, and that of my friends, the anxiety abates around 6 weeks. Whether it's hormones settling down or just that you get used to the sleep deprivation I don't know but things just seem to get easier! I hope this is he case for you too. Hang on in there x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->