Babies and Dogs

franny2402

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanting a little bit of advice from all you ladies who own a dog and are pregnant / who have had babies.

We own a Hungarian Vizsla so he is quite a big dog and he is one, I am 14 weeks pregnant and due on 10th February.

Toby (our dog) loves kids - this is one of the main reasons why we choose a Vizsla as they are family dogs and love children. My partner has young children on his side of the family and Toby is around them quite a lot, he is very good with them but obviously we never leave him alone with them just in case.

However he has never been around babies, and I am just worried as he is quite a bouncy dog and loves attention (he is used to being our baby).

Has anyone got any tips and advice on how to introduce babies and dogs and also advice on how to include dogs, I don't just want to shut him away because I know he will become withdrawn and jealous. He follows my and my partner everywhere, its like having a second shadow.

Fran xxx

Hi, we have a golden retriever, got him as a puppy in 2010 and our first dd was born in 2011, he has been brilliant with the kids. (I was a childminder when we first got him so he was used to kids).
The girls make a big fuss of him and love him like mad. He looks fed up sometimes but thats because he wants walked 24/7 lol. Xx

Hi, We have two pit bulls age 7 years and 1 year. They have not been around kids too much except for my niece and nephew occasionally and they are both fine with them. I just plan on introducing them slowly to baby and I think they'll be fine.

Hi! I k ow the thread is a little old but I wanted to chime in. We have. Big 157 lb saint Bernard. He was a bit over 1 when we had our little girl and he had never been around babies before that and not really kids either.

But he adjusted amazingly! From the start he seemed in love with her and today they are best friends. She climbs all over him plays in his mouth and grabs on and gives him kisses all the time.

Dogs in general seem to adapt well!

our pup had just turned one when I had our son.
we just introduced him calmly to the baby & just made sure he knew not to touch him. he was never really fussed about him & was actually really protective of him, just make sure you give the dog attention aswell when the baby arrives :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->