baby born at 24+4

hannahx

Reaction score
Ive just found out my friend has had her precious baby girl at 24+4 :cry:
After bleeding on and off throughout the pregnancy her waters broke last weekend, she got an infection 3 days ago andwent into labour last night... she only weighs 1lb2oz. ii dont know how she is doing as it was my OH that spoke to babys dad. Has anyone got experience of babys born this early? :hugs:

Hi Hannah

I didn't want you to think that people were ignoring your post, so I'll bump it. I'm sure that there is someone around here with a baby that early, but I can't remember who - memory like a sieve for names and dates, I'm afraid!

My son Andrew was born at 29+1wks, so much older, but only weighed a little more - he was 1lb 6oz.

Let us know how things go, and try to be there for your friend - whatever happens, she's going to need your support. :hugs:

I didnt have a baby this early but I hope your friends baby is a fighter and pulls through.

I am sure someone on this site has had a baby similar to 24+4...

x

Hi hun, if you go up to the sticky thread about VIP very important premie i think you might find a story of a baby early as that. not 100% sure but no harm in checking

x

My daughter was 29 weeks and 3lbs 7, but when she was in there was a 24 weeker called Bailey. He was very poorly and we always wondered how he got on.

I read in the paper just before christmas that after 4 months, and a number of medical emergencies, he was home and thriving and none the worse for being so early.

There is always hope, even for the teeniest tiniest baby.

Thankyou for your replies, i will have a look through the thread. There is still no news on baby Layla, they havent been allowed to see her yet x

I had identicial twin grils back in July who where bonr at 25 weeks but sadly my girls just weren't strong enought o win the battle and I lost the battle at 3 days and D lost the battle at 16 days. I was so heart-broken and felt so guilty but know I know that no matter what I did they would of come when they where ready anyway and the time just wasn't right for them. And God will always watch over t=us and test us in so many ways. My test was my girls and know almost 7 months later I am panickin git will happen again. I am know 16 weeks with twins again but so far everything is goin gso much different in the better way than it was with my girls.

I will pray for baby Layla and her parents and I hope she wins the battle and one day when the time is right both mum and dad will be able to take Bbay Layla home and start there life as very porud parents. Keep on fighting Baby Layla you can do it

wasnt lakai a 24 weeker?

To hannah - you might be just as informed by people that have had babies that weight but an older gestation, like Marleysgirl. often it has a lot to do with weight.

Let your friend know we are here too!

Hey there, my wee boys best bud Tapha was 24+5 and weighed 1lb 6. He spent 110 days in hospital and is doing just grand. He did have a tough hospital journey when he was there. Another girl we know from
hospital was born at 23 exactly weighing 1lb 3 got home 5 days before her due date. I saw her two weeks ago and is small but perfect. Both babies have been left with chronic lung diesease but nothing else.

Sending strength hugs to your friend.

Dona and Archie xx

^^^ alex has that too, does archie? I wondered if the neonatal always says that to everyone?

My consultant said that CLD is the official descriptor of any baby who needed ventilating after birth. It was written on Andrew's discharge notes but we were told not to worry about it, it just informs his medical records that he might be more susceptible to respiratory diseases as a result of his being ventilated in his early days.

Yeah Arch has it too seemingly!

It makes sense yet I dont think it bothers Alex now, but for a good few weeks when she came home she sounded like she was on the fags.....coughing and scaring us!

Nobody mentioned this to us.

But then, they mentioned the brain cysts which were apparently enough of a worry for us ot have a sit down chat with them about - and yet the guy who does her check ups reckons we got that wrong as he can't see it in her notes.:shrug:

Hi,

My son Lakai was born at exactly the same age as your friend's baby, 24 + 4 weeks. He is now 11 months corrected and doing extremely well. About to walk, cruising, crawling, smiling, waving...everything a normal baby does. Even though he had the worst brain bleed you can have and we were told and asked to remove him from support.

Its a rough ride through the NICU. But every day is a step in the right direction.

If you want to read Lakai's story here it is.

There is also an "Ask a Mum" thread about Lakai's birth as well....but I cannot find a link!

I hope you will come back with updates! =)

I got a quick update last night....
Layla is being ventilated and dosed up with morphine but she is still fighting.
That was the update from her daddy but he doesnt know much tbh...I saw a pic of her and she is beautiful :flower:
Thankyou for your kind words, i just hope she is strong enough to fight :cry:
xxxx

Oh, Why arent they allowed to see her poor things.

Hope baby is fighting the fight xx

:hugs: Thats exactly how life started out for my lil Alex :hugs:

Hi, my daughter Neave was born 25.5 weeks, she only weighed 1lb 12, she too was ventilated for a day then put on cpap. Neave is doing well they usually tell you to expect to go home around due date. I am on week 10 now, Neave is on low flow in a normal cot and is 4ib 14!!! NICU is very difficult and tiring your friend will need a lot of support. I'm sure your friend has a little fighter.xx:hugs:

hey hun, no direct experience of a baby so young but she does sound like a fighter, its amazing what NICU teams can do today ans they put their heart and souls into it little Layla is in safe hands, hope parents get to be with her soon, bit odd they were not allowed at first maybe too much intervention going on at that point xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->