Baby crying to sleep

Clairikins

Mummy to Erin
Reaction score
My baby is 12 weeks old and the only way she will go to sleep is by crying herself to sleep, for naps and bedtime. I have tried feeding to sleep, rocking to sleep, cuddling to sleep and she just screams at me. If I put her down she cries quite hard but is always asleep within five minutes (though the five minutes feels really long). Do you think it is an issue that she cries herself to sleep? I hate it but it seems like it is her way of releasing before sleep. Will she eventually grow out of it? I think I fed my dd1 to sleep so this is new territory. Tia x

Oops, meant to post this in baby club - can it be moved?

Does your baby have colic?

Most babies under 6 months of age, dont cry unless there is a reason.

I wouldnt ever allow my baby to fall asleep via crying..not at 12 weeks...

If she is well fed, clean and well hugged then I don't see an issue. You know your baby best and if this is what she does to fall asleep then so be it. It's not as if she's crying for a long time before dropping off. My son was like this too and he's a delightful 5 year old who certainly doesn't seem to have been psychologically scarred by crying a little before he fell asleep as a baby. Xx

Most babies under 6 months of age, dont cry unless there is a reason.

Yes but it's REALLY hard to find out what that reason is! I think as her LO is asleep in 5mins then she's crying because she is tired and wants to be asleep. Keeping her awake because we are 'supposed' to be able to comfort our children through anything is just going to make her more tired surely?

OP if you are really uncomfortable with hearing her cry, then my only suggestion would be to try to get her down for naps and sleep earlier so she isn't as overtired but as I've never had a child who'd drop off after 5mins I'm not really the person to ask :haha:

Thanks guys. I posted this in baby club too and the general response seems to be that it won't do her any harm.

Noon_child, I absolutely agree with your point. When I have tried to comfort her to sleep it simply prolongs the crying. On the odd occasion she feeds to sleep it is much nicer but it's rare she wants to do that. I do my best to get her to sleep before she is overtired but with dd1 it's not always possible. We'll muddle on through! 💕

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->