Baby dropping 2nd time mum

Lilbean2

Reaction score
Hey ladies

I'm expecting number 2, and I was wondering does the bump drop earlier in 2nd pregnancies.. I definitely woke up yday feeling very different, more pressure low down, swollen lady bits, I'm finally waddling,going pee about 20times with only a trickle come out lol.. but more over even my husband noticed the shape of my bump is very low now...

Does that happen sooner with subsequent pregnancy?

You actually don't drop with your second and subsequent pregnancies until you're in labor! I think it's because your body doesn't need as much time to get ready and prepare because it already knows what to do. So while with your first you typically drop in those last few weeks, the next pregnancies you don't until you're in true labor. I didn't even know that until a couple weeks ago but made me feel better because my belly definitely hasn't "dropped".

Well you can engage before labour - I did. However it doesn't mean they'll stay there. I had 3wks of being fully engaged and then at 39wks baby has popped back out again!

I think you can drop but may not stay that way. Baby wont engage as 'much' may come up and out. So in a week you may feel or seem baby has shifted back up.

My first engaged at 34w. My second down at 36w but really dropped for good at around 40w.

This baby my third was 4/5 at 34w but was free again at 37w but my bump has dropped loads so for me its all mix match haha.

I'm on my third baby and I have definitely dropped. I now have a visibly clear lot of room by my ribs now. Everyone has commented including my midwife. Baby haas been fully engaged and'as low as she could possibly get' for the last 3-4 weeks.

It's just that with subsequent babies they can pop in and out of staying engaged so that even if you 'drop' it might not stay that way.

But there's no denying that my bump has dropped massively! My maternity trousers are now too big for me where the shape of my bump has changed and got so much lower!

X

I've read it usually drops later, like just before labour. Last week Wednesday my baby's head was still high, at -2 station, but I went for a walk on the Friday and felt a lot of pressure then. Went into labour that night and delivered on the Saturday. I believe he dropped fullly on the Friday I went into labour.

It seems to vary for each woman/pregnancy! My second baby never engaged until right at the last second during labour.. Once her head pressed down my waters broke and I felt the urge to push. So I never experienced the "dropping" sensation with her. My third baby did engage but labour didn't start on its own.. My waters broke first and contractions didn't start! This time baby is still "free" and I'm betting he/she won't engage until I'm in labour again.

You might find baby moves out of your pelvis again between now and labour, or they might stay that way from now on. Either way, it's normal :)

I had heard that second babies tend to engage later. So it was a big shock to find this one had started to engage at 36 weeks! Confirmed by scan and also by the bowling ball feeling between my legs. Surprising because my DD didn't start to engage until 38+ weeks!

Mine has defo dropped. It's dropped in the past week or so. I find I can take deeper breaths and can tolerate bigger meals too!

I think it depends on the woman and baby. Both of mine dropped and engaged at about 36 weeks (ds1 born at 37 weeks ds#2 born at 38 weeks) but mine were 4.5 years apart. And this one will be 8 years younger than ds2 and 12 years younger than ds1. It could be something to do with mine being so far apart.

I'm just over 37 weeks, and haven't noticeably dropped yet. But I've had pain in pelvic area, and still pain up by ribs, and still have hb, so I don't know.

Maybe hopefully tomorrow at my biophysical u/s and doctor's appointment we can see if he's engaged any. I've already have dilation and effacement, so who knows. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->