Baby feeding constantly..

Kittique

Reaction score
Sadie is 5 weeks old now, almost 6 and for the past week she has been feeding almost constantly- today the longest she's gone between feeds is 30 min, since 5am.. It's now 10pm. I am beyond exhausted. She hadn't pooped since yesterday either, how can she still be eating! If she's not being fed she's screaming. Won't go in a sling or carrier as she tries to get breast And can't. What is going on :(

She hasn't even slept today :'(

:hugs: It is very normal. I despised that stage when DD2 was a baby, so I introduced a pacifier from day 1. It never affected her latching and relieved me of the constant comfort nursing which is something I do not enjoy. Have you tried a paci for your little one?

It sounds like the 6week growth spurt to me! That one was the WORST, if she wasn't latched she was screaming, but when she did latch she was frustrated by lack of milk. However if you keep at it, it shouldn't last more than a week.

I see introducing a pacifier helped for PP, BUT if it is the 6 week growth spurt a pacifier will just lengthen the amount of time it takes your body to catch up milk production to what your baby wants.

Maybe give it one or two more days - then it might be worth trying a pacifier as by then you'll be able to tell if it was just the growth spurt or not?

I agree with noon_child, sounds like cluster feeding to me. My LO nursed literally for 8 hours straight during her newborn phase one night- EIGHT HOURS!! As long as your LO is gaining weight and having wet diapers, it's all normal. Don't worry the constant nursing will end I promise! Hang in there- you're doing great!

Sounds like what my lo does during a growth spurt or a wonder week.

I quadruple the pp's responses! My little one is on 5 weeks and I'm waiting for the little normalcy we've created to disappear to make room for the 6 wk growth spurt.

Pacifiers help but like a pp mentioned it will prolong the spurt IF your LO isn't vocal about wanting food versus suckling for comfort. My daughter will let me (angrily) know when I need to remove the paci from her presence.

Mine has done this from time to time too. I noticed if she needs a poo, sometimes she will eat and eat (perhaps partly because her tummy starts feeling uncomfortable) then settle once she has had it. Mine gives me an hour max between feeds and eats for an hour. It is exhausting! She does sleep approx 8.30pm-5/5.30am at night before waking though.

Thanks for replies, had not had time to revisit the forums ! She has calmed down on the feeding a little bit, going 1 - 1.5 hours between during the day and giving me a 4 hour break at night. She takes a dummy often yes and it does help some.

The problem now is her reflux - this might have been linked to why she was feeding so often, probably in addition to the growth spurt (Shes now finally into some 0-3 clothes at 7 weeks) She seems to eat, throw it up, get acid and need to feed again to soothe it...vicious cycle! would actually prefer the 18 hour feeding frenzies than this reflux, seeing her in constant discomfort is just heart breaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->