baby gone off milk feeds after weaning

rainbowzebra2

Reaction score
Hi there,

My HV advised me to wean my son a few weeks ago - he is 18lbs, tall and solid, was downing 6 x 7oz bottles and still waking x 2 in the night for more.

Since we started giving him baby rice and some fruit and veg purees he has decided that he doesnt like milk anymore (can you really blame them now they have tasted nice fruit etc!).

Problem is that I always offer milk first and he cries and turns his head away but then happily munches 3 icecubes of carrot and baby rice mixed with some formula.

Im worried he is not getting enough formula (or fluid - he refuses water). In 24 hrs he will drink maybe 20 - 25 oz formula and eat breakfast, and lunch or tea. he was on 40oz formula before weaning. Any advice ladies, should I just go with what he wants? He seems happy - not constipated etc.

Thanks

Have you asked your HV?
As far as I understand, at his age, milk really shouldn't replaced with solids, as solids are so much less nutritious and contain fewer calories which are needed.
20-25oz isn't necessarily too little formula but if he was taking 40oz before then that's what he probably needs.
I'd go back to the HV personally.

Try seperating his milk and meals a little.

Earl did something very similar and his stats were virtually the same - at 4 months prior to starting food, he was on 7x7oz bottles, 2 at night, weighed 19lb.

I also only gave Earl 1 meal for 3 weeks. I would feed him 30 mins after his milk as initially he wanted the food, not the milk. By seperating it he didn't associate the milk with the meal so now he'll often have a full 7oz prior to having his breakfast/dinner. He started on Monday on 2 meals a day, but as I don't want his milk intake to drop anymore, that's it for another 3 weeks.

His milk intake dropped quite significantly to begin with to around 30oz, but now he takes at least 35oz and has dropped 1 of his night feeds. It can take a little while for them to settle into eating and drinking, and the stimulation of eating can make them excitable too.

HTH

James is doing the same as this right now. He is now on 2 meals a day and has dropped a milk feed altogether. His I think is more related to his cough. He starts to take the bottle but then coughs and cries and won't take anymore. I always offer him milk and then give him his solids 30 to 60 minutes later. This morning he had a bottle at 6.30am. Then offered him a bottle at 9.45am and he point blank refused it. Turns his head away, screams and pushes the bottle with his hands. Put his dummy in his mouth and he is fine! After 20 minutes of trying every trick in the book including getting him to sleep before giving him the milk to no avail. Offered him his porridge and he demolished 3tsps and was crying at me cos I wasn't getting it in quick enough lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->